ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

$20 if you make me a 6' Molex cable. $10 for recommending a better solution.

<< < (7/10) > >>

S_O_B:
I feel your pain. I found your post because I was searching for a non-standard molex cable as well. I've searched high and low and only found one place so far. Here is what I found.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sidcuscab.html

You can buy male and female empty molex plugs and pins to make your own cable, which can be any length you want. They do make crimpers for the pins, but you really don't need them. Just stick the wire in the pin and pinch the end with some pliers. After that you just shove the pin in the plug and the little metal parts that stick out will keep the pin from coming back out.

The plug and pins will run you about $1 and you can get wire almost anywhere. I hope this is what you were looking for.

superboyac:
I feel your pain. I found your post because I was searching for a non-standard molex cable as well. I've searched high and low and only found one place so far. Here is what I found.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sidcuscab.html

You can buy male and female empty molex plugs and pins to make your own cable, which can be any length you want. They do make crimpers for the pins, but you really don't need them. Just stick the wire in the pin and pinch the end with some pliers. After that you just shove the pin in the plug and the little metal parts that stick out will keep the pin from coming back out.

The plug and pins will run you about $1 and you can get wire almost anywhere. I hope this is what you were looking for.
-S_O_B (July 27, 2009, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the website, I'll have to save it.

I was THIS close to making a cable.  But i ended up buying a 2-bay enclosure that I talked about previously in this thread.  I haven't connected it yet, I'm still waiting for my sata cables to arrive, but I'm happy with it.  I tend to avoid doing DIY things unless I absolutely have to.

Innuendo:
Ok...I thought I made it clear.  Mine has a molex connector where the picture shows SATA power.  I couldn't find an exact picture of it.-superboyac (July 21, 2009, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

How odd and non-standard. That's quite an oddity you have on your hands.

I've seen the DNS-323.  The only think I didn't like about it was the plastic feel to it and the wobbly way everything connects.  And I did want hot swap, very much so.
--- End quote ---

Only the front cover is plastic. The rest is metal & the way things connect you might think it would be wobbly, but it's very snug & efficient. There's no wobble at all. However, if you wanted hot-swap then you are right. The DNS-323 doesn't have hot-swap.

However, in its defense, the DNS-323 wasn't designed where hot-swap was a desired feature. It's a NAS rather than an eSATA enclosure. I bought the DNS-323 so I could hang it on my network & have central storage available to all the computers on my network without having to keep a PC on to access its attached enclosure.

I really like Granite Digital's aesthetics, but I know if I got one I'd spend too much money buying a PC case to match. ;)

Like you, I tend to avoid DIY things, especially when pre-built things with warrantees that exist that give you more features than you had & for not much money. That two-bay enclosure for $99 is a very good deal.

superboyac:
Ok...I thought I made it clear.  Mine has a molex connector where the picture shows SATA power.  I couldn't find an exact picture of it.-superboyac (July 21, 2009, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

How odd and non-standard. That's quite an oddity you have on your hands.

I've seen the DNS-323.  The only think I didn't like about it was the plastic feel to it and the wobbly way everything connects.  And I did want hot swap, very much so.
--- End quote ---

Only the front cover is plastic. The rest is metal & the way things connect you might think it would be wobbly, but it's very snug & efficient. There's no wobble at all. However, if you wanted hot-swap then you are right. The DNS-323 doesn't have hot-swap.

However, in its defense, the DNS-323 wasn't designed where hot-swap was a desired feature. It's a NAS rather than an eSATA enclosure. I bought the DNS-323 so I could hang it on my network & have central storage available to all the computers on my network without having to keep a PC on to access its attached enclosure.

I really like Granite Digital's aesthetics, but I know if I got one I'd spend too much money buying a PC case to match. ;)

Like you, I tend to avoid DIY things, especially when pre-built things with warrantees that exist that give you more features than you had & for not much money. That two-bay enclosure for $99 is a very good deal.
-Innuendo (July 27, 2009, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Re the DNS, I thought the front cover was a little wobbly...it came off too easily for my tastes.  But it's a decent system, I don't mind it much at all.  I do like Granite Digital a lot.  Even though they are expensive, I will continue to support them because of their amazing customer service.

I am curious as to what the power supply to the DNS is like.  For two hard drives, it would have to be a little more than usual.  By the way, I know a lot of people here are saying that it's unusual for me to run out of power and the Granite Digital stuff is overkill, but I've been cranking the numbers myself and the problem I ran into makes sense.  I'm a licensed electrical engineer, so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.  For a 2 hard drive system, I would recommend an 80-100W power supply, if you want to be on the safe side.  I'm really wondering why other people are not running into problems with their enclosures.  Just a little curious on my end.

Let me explain, maybe it will help someone who comes across this post.  My enclosure came with a 40W power supply in the form of a brick-type.  That's plenty for the most part.  However, with these large drives, it's not that unusual for them to consume more than 30W at some instant (however rare that might be).  I've heard that the initial spin-up consumes the most power.  In that case, it is quite possible that 40W is not enough.  With power, you never want to cut it too close to the specified values because all sorts of things can be going on.  There can be dips and surges, whatever.  I always go way on the safe side.  In my case, it seemed like I didn't have enough juice to startup the drive and I could never get it going after a while.  but with a larger power supply, it was fine.

Innuendo:
Re the DNS, I thought the front cover was a little wobbly...it came off too easily for my tastes.-superboyac (July 27, 2009, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Empty the cover is a little wobbly, but there are metal coil/spring type things on the back that provide pressure against the drives once they are installed and then there's enough positive pressure that there's no movement/wobble at all.

I am curious as to what the power supply to the DNS is like.
--- End quote ---

According to the DNS-323 Wiki:

(with two drives)
HDs spinning/powering up - up to 72 watts for 3 seconds
HDs up, high CPU, Gigabit network transfer via CIFS/SMB - 23-24 watts
HDs powered down (sleep), otherwise running - 7 watts

My power brick has the following writing on the bottom:

Jentec Technology Co, Ltd"
Model: JTA0512
AC Input: 100-240Vac/1.2A
50-60Hz
DC Output: +5V/3A, +12V/3A

According to Jentec's web site it's a "34-61 Watt Dual Output Switching Desktop Power Supply."

I've been running this unit for over a year now & it's been a solid performer. I bought this as something cheap to get me by till I could afford something better, but I've been really impressed. I'd definitely buy a second one to run alongside the first if I ever had the need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version