ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

$20 if you make me a 6' Molex cable. $10 for recommending a better solution.

<< < (5/10) > >>

superboyac:
It's overkill engineering-wise, but you don't know business-wise.  What if they have a ton of 300w units lying around?  Why would they buy a 175W units for their new equipment?

4wd:
Well, they must have seen the error of their ways.....

The one you're referring to must be old stock they want to get rid of, all their newer External 2 bay enclosures only have a 40, 50 or 80 watt PSU.

And at 10Kg for a dual bay external it's more an anchor than it is portable.....they've certainly lived up to the name Granite with this thing.

superboyac:
Well, they must have seen the error of their ways.....

The one you're referring to must be old stock they want to get rid of, all their newer External 2 bay enclosures only have a 40, 50 or 80 watt PSU.

And at 10Kg for a dual bay external it's more an anchor than it is portable.....they've certainly lived up to the name Granite with this thing.
-4wd (July 19, 2009, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's interesting.  40W for two big hard drives could be cutting it close, but I guess they've done their math.  I'm getting the one on sale (already ordered it) because it's pretty cheap and it's still $60 cheaper than the stacked one.  Yeah, their enclosures are pretty heavy, but that's what I like about them!  These things are rock solid.  I've used cheaper plastic ones in the past and they were fine, but little things here and there were evident that they were a little cheap.  This one is seriously well made.

4wd:
A friend and I now use these things instead of 3.5" external enclosures and carry around 2.5" externals instead.

10 if you make me a 6' Molex cable.  $10 for recommending a better solution.

Just slide a drive in and close the door, open the door and the drive gets pushed out.

Saves carrying around a lot of PSUs and cables, just the HDD in its transport pack - a lot lighter.

Plus, considering the amount of HDDs I've got lying around, it makes it easy to find out what's on them.  Heaps better than those cradle things, they were an absolute PITA if you wanted to swap HDDs.

superboyac:
I have one of those as well.  Obviously, I'm not getting the Granite Digital products for their portability.  I like those things...you just slide the bare drive in and out like a floppy disk.  I wrote a review about them a while back:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7940.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version