topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: media box - any hints, tips, or recommendations...  (Read 3571 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
media box - any hints, tips, or recommendations...
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I was going thru my junk box the other day and I've got almost enough pieces to put another machine together

I don't need another machine, and it's relatively low spec but still too good to toss out (AMD 2600, 2G ram, GeForce 256 w/TV out)

the TV out part got me thinking that maybe it would make a reasonable media box (not that I really need one of those either, but digital TV is starting to come on line here at the moment)

I'm a total noob to this so I've been googling all over on this over the last few days and while it appears that the specs are adequate, I don't seem to be able to find much info on these sort of setups - there are plenty of forums for established or distro specific setups, but not much about how to go about choosing a particular platform.

As an added complication I would also like to be able to use it as a 'NAS' when I go to LAN days (windows network)

I'm OS agnostic on this (I'm familiar with Windows but not Linux :o) and would prefer a 'headless' system, which I suppose implies some sort of server OS (again, something I'm not familiar with), and controlled via a remote or gamepad

Does anyone here have any experience with anything like this, or can point me at some worthwhile resources 

TIA

target

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: media box - any hints, tips, or recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Perhaps dual boot between MythTV and FreeNAS ?

Choosing a filesystem that's common to both, (that might knock out using FreeNAS' ZFS).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:06 PM by 4wd »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Perhaps dual boot between MythTV and FreeNAS ?

Choosing a filesystem that's common to both, (that might knock out using FreeNAS' ZFS).

I had considered that, however wouldn't the dual boot predicate a display and a keyboard?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:37 AM »
I had considered that, however wouldn't the dual boot predicate a display and a keyboard?

Have it default to MythTV on timeout when at home and when you go to a LAN meet, plug the video out into a second input on your monitor and carry one of those roll-up silicon keyboard that cost around AU$15.