topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DonationCoder loading funny in Firefox - colors missing - proportions strange  (Read 12118 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

This happens to me sometimes, and can even be after a reboot, so it does not seem to be memory related.

Here is a pic.

DonationCoder.jpg

Any ideas why ?  It is annoying, although everything functions ok, and I can go to Opera if I want to see normal.

Shalom,
Steven

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
that looks like css file was not found, try forcing a refresh of the page (ctrl+shift+refreshbutton?).
anyone else having this problem?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Thanks, Mouser.

Using the right-click and "reload" as the refresh -- and holding down ctrl-shift while reloading .. worked.  I'll see if it holds and do a bit more testing.  The root cause ?  Dunno.

Shalom,
Steven

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, Steven.  I'm using Firefox 3.5 and have not experienced this problem.  Do you have any extensions that might interfere with the css file?  I'm afraid I have no idea which ones, if any, might be problematic.  Just a thought.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That page looks similar to what one gets using an activated 'NoScript' extension.

If you used it (or a similar one) on previous versions of FireFox and you upgraded that version to 3.5, then it could be that your preferences/settings are scrambled.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Actually right now I am back on 3.0.1.1  with minimum extensions

Download Statusbar
Linkman Fox
Open Tab Count
Session Manager
Tab Mix Plus
PDF Download

I could do the disable route and see what happens.

Hmmm .. some plug-ins too

Mozilla Default Plugin
PDF X-Change Viewer
Windows Media Player in DLL
Shockwave Flash
Microsoft DRM - DRM Netscape Network Model
Microsoft DRM - DRM Store Netscape Plugin

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:54 PM by Steven Avery »

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It also happened to me, on Firefox 3.5, but on the Yahoo webpage, 1 or 2 times, but I have never saw it on DC. I have also seen it on previous versions of Firefox on the Yahoo website (and in other websites too). As Mouser stated, after a refresh (F5) the page turns to normal. It appears very rarely and I am not annoyed that I have to press F5 once in a while.

Do you get this often?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Well, I got it sporadically over about the last week.  Since the reload is holding and I only reboot about once a day I won't be able to do a lot of quick testing.

Shalom,
Steven

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I get it occasionally (very rare actually) and it is not specific to any one site.  I have had that happen here too.  It is, at least in my case, a response time issue where the page gets served but the CSS does not.  A simple reload fixes it as Mouser said above.  Most often, I see this on high latency sites where the computer waits the allotted time and only receives part of the page, or if I stop it mid-load.  It also seems to occur more often on sites with JavaScript thought I don't know why that would be - more code to load I would guess.  Poor scripts?  I don't know.  One question I did have though, can't you set up the site to just serve the page and all packages including the JavaScript, THEN load it to run locally on the machine instead of running everything inline?  Maybe I am a bit naive about this, but it seems like that might be the way to go for many reasons.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This happened to me once after doing a go-through with CCleaner.
Hasn't happened since, but for a long time, I un-checked firefox stuff from the cleaning queue.
Did you do any cookie-and-temp-file-cleaning before this happened?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Possibly one reason I have the problem at times is going directly with a url to the Fully Free for Biz Lists .. which is a very long page  (possibly, maybe, conceivably).

Shalom,
Steven

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hasn't happened since, but for a long time, I un-checked firefox stuff from the cleaning queue.
This will happen if you run CCleaner while Firefox is still open.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This will happen if you run CCleaner while Firefox is still open.
 :o :-[
Oops.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...Fully Free for Biz Lists .. which is a very long page...
-Steven Avery (July 17, 2009, 11:09 AM)
Maybe they should have their own subfolder with each category having it's own thread?  I know you broke it out once, but it keeps growing!  Just a thought...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I often must refresh the tab with DC loaded - a "fresh" page reload, bypassing the cache. Been like that for at least a year now. Sometimes even if I have cleared the cache at the start of the day DC loads like that for me. Something in your CSS mouser that is definitely different than other sites, as I have never encountered this in other forums.

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I often must refresh the tab with DC loaded - a "fresh" page reload, bypassing the cache. Been like that for at least a year now. Sometimes even if I have cleared the cache at the start of the day DC loads like that for me. Something in your CSS mouser that is definitely different than other sites, as I have never encountered this in other forums.
Well, just to provide more feedback to mouser, I've never had this happen on the DC site.  I can't recall its happening anywhere, but I'm not sure.  But I am sure I haven't seen it with the DC site.  I'm using Firefox 3.5.1 (on WinXP Pro), but I've also viewed DC in the past with 3.0.x, 3.5, etc.  I do have problems with Firefox, but not this one and not on DC.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've had it happen - but very rarely & not in a long time - clearing the cache fixed it IIRC

odd it's happening to some & not others . .
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now that I think about it more, it hasn't happened recently - maybe a month ago that I can remember. But it used to happen at least three or four times a week to me - on my desktop's XP Pro or my notebook's Vista Ultimate. If I was browsing a lot it would happen a few times a day. Up to about a month ago, maybe three weeks. Not sure.

Maybe FF 3.5 helped?

Jim

EDIT:  Here's one place I mentioned it briefly last year. I think I mentioned it a few times but I never started a thread about it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:46 PM by J-Mac »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Probably unrelated, but this has happened to me repeatedly in the past, using Opera. To fix it, I'd dig DC's code to find the css file, open it on a new tab, refresh the page and everything would go back to normal.

I always assumed it was a problem with opera.

(I've switched opera for firefox during the recent months, and haven't been very much around lately, but it never happened in firefox)

[edit] I just noticed that my signature is lying! Time to delete that :) [/edit]