topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Monitor Switcher  (Read 14436 times)

alecjw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Monitor Switcher
« on: December 24, 2005, 04:51 PM »
I've got two monitors plugged into my computer but whenever I open a window it always comes up on the monitor to my left. Maybe you could write something which will make one window open on one monitor then the next window on the other monitor then back to the first one then to the second one etc. But I'm guessing that this could be quite impossible as it would mean tampering with my GPU driver (I think)...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monitor Switcher
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 06:51 PM »
that's an interesting idea - actually you might take it a bit further and say it would be nice to have a program that opened (or moved right after they open) windows to a blank location on the deskop when possible so as to avoid overlap of windows when they open.. does such an app exist yet?

i know there are some shareware apps that readjust and resize windows on command to fit on the desktop, inspired by a mac feature. can't remember what it's called.

might be nice to have an automatic one though.

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 02:40 AM »
Hi Mouser

For those that have two monitors, I cant live without 'Multimon'
http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

I posted a few screenshots in other topics, but no one has noticed the extra arrow.  ;)

taskbar5.gif

Cut and paste from the authors web site
What it does:
    * It adds second taskbar to the extended desktop on Monitor 2 (either right or left)
    * It can add third taskbar to the second Extended monitor if you have 3 monitors setup.
    * It shows only applications from that Monitor
    * It hides the applications on Monitor 2 from normal Windows Taskbar
    * Adds a Move to Monitor button to all windows applications.
    * Add Text Clipboard Extender (new 1.1.)
    * Very carefully written, I don't want to crash my own desktop!
New in 2.1: You can now use Hot-Keys CTRL+SHIFT+arrow to move the current window left or right!

Clipboard Extender
A simple but cool Text clipboard extender is added to the toolbar. It can be also rolled in or totally disabled.
multimon4.gif

It does not open up auto on extra screen, but it is GREAT.

its also free, but worth paying for.

maybe I should do a review. (later)

dB

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:46 AM by dB »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 01:58 PM »
when you open the window, move it to the exact place you want it to open and then hold down ctrl and click the x button, then when you open that window it will open in that spot.
[Insert really cool signature here]

rpnfan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I've got two monitors plugged into my computer but whenever I open a window it always comes up on the monitor to my left. Maybe you could write something which will make one window open on one monitor then the next window on the other monitor then back to the first one then to the second one etc. But I'm guessing that this could be quite impossible as it would mean tampering with my GPU driver (I think)...
If you like/use Autohotkey (or if not) you can also try Activaid which also offers the option to assign a hotkey to move windows to a specific (or the other) monitor. Also nice tools for windows handling (maximize, sticky...) and tons of other great tools.