topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google Chrome: Time for a Second Chance?  (Read 55776 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Chrome: Time for a Second Chance?
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Latest nightly build changed version number to 8.0.558.0 for what that's worth. I just copied it to my W7(no install... using the zip file) and it came up ok.  So far I'm liking this Chromium zip way to doing things better than silent install.  I haven't noticed my extensions breaking or other bugs popping up out of nowhere.

I save my data and old zip for a few days to make sure it's stable whenever I update manually.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Google Chrome is the troll of the version world! 1 to 8 in 2 years! That almost sounds like our very own mouser and his sub-version numbers :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Google Chrome is the troll of the version world! 1 to 8 in 2 years! That almost sounds like our very own mouser and his sub-version numbers :)

Heh. Long as it works they can call it version 800. :)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56 AM »
My only complaint with Chrome is the way the extensions site is organized.  I would like to sort them by alphabet or at least be able to "See All" rather than the categories, so I can easily browse them.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49 PM »
My only complaint with Chrome is the way the extensions site is organized.  I would like to sort them by alphabet or at least be able to "See All" rather than the categories, so I can easily browse them.

One thing I noticed weird about all the browsers is it seems really tough to find the latest download, and the release notes.  I don't know how many times I've searched around Mozilla site looking for release notes.  Or I search and get the latest beta, from 2008. They have everything set up like they are talking to somebody who never used the thing or even a browser before.  Less newb ad copy and more focussed text would be great.  The other peeve is sites with tiny "log in" button that I can't see.  So I have to search on "sign in" "log in" "Login" and blah blah just to sign in!! Sheesh!!! :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 01:11 PM »

They had to catch up to the other browsers.

I think Microsoft did the same thing with the Xbox 360. Couldn't have an Xbox 2 while there was a Playstation 3 out there. Also, 360 degrees is a full Revolution, which is what the Wii was called at that time.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 02:22 PM »
The weird thing is you go in Chromium nightly build trunk and you get this '6' number. Like now the latest is: 63243  .. whatever that means. Maybe it's just the build count?  I dunno'.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 02:57 PM »
I wonder if they fixed the issue where PDFs that come up in the native PDF support (without a plugin) being printing nothing but blank pages. Or is it just me experiencing that?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21 PM »
When talking about basic stuff not working, I can't believe it but, I tried to bookmark a page with Chromium using Control-D.  Nuthin'.  I right clicked to get a context menu. Nuthin' about bookmarks!! I had to "Add Page" in the bookmark manager. Not only that but if you add the page title and hit Enter, it just goes away if you didn't already stick the URL in.  Really dropped the ball on that one!!!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2010, 06:46 PM »
When talking about basic stuff not working, I can't believe it but, I tried to bookmark a page with Chromium using Control-D.  Nuthin'.  I right clicked to get a context menu. Nuthin' about bookmarks!! I had to "Add Page" in the bookmark manager. Not only that but if you add the page title and hit Enter, it just goes away if you didn't already stick the URL in.  Really dropped the ball on that one!!!

Huh? Just click the star in the address bar. . .

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2010, 06:54 PM »
When talking about basic stuff not working, I can't believe it but, I tried to bookmark a page with Chromium using Control-D.  Nuthin'.  I right clicked to get a context menu. Nuthin' about bookmarks!! I had to "Add Page" in the bookmark manager. Not only that but if you add the page title and hit Enter, it just goes away if you didn't already stick the URL in.  Really dropped the ball on that one!!!

Huh? Just click the star in the address bar. . .

Fine, but every other browser in the world uses Control-D.  I forget about stars in address bars because nobody else uses it. It's lame. If they are going to have a star in address bar, fine, but Control-D hotkey should be linked to it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:55 PM by MilesAhead »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I forget about stars in address bars because nobody else uses it.

Firefox uses a star in the address bar, too.

As someone who has never used Ctrl-D before, that shortcut doesn't even make sense to me. There's no D in "bookmark."

Of course, there's no J in "Downloads" either but I still remember that Ctrl-J brings up the Downloads list. So I guess I just contradicted myself. <shrugs>

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2010, 01:44 AM »
It's bad when there's no option in the page context menu either. I've forgotten about the star in the address bar before. I'm likely to forget it again. Not really user friendly. They could at least compromise and put a command in the context menu.

Now I don't know what to think since it's a nightly build and I haven't found anything broken yet. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 08:23 AM »
I forget about stars in address bars because nobody else uses it.

Firefox uses a star in the address bar, too.

As someone who has never used Ctrl-D before, that shortcut doesn't even make sense to me. There's no D in "bookmark."

Of course, there's no J in "Downloads" either but I still remember that Ctrl-J brings up the Downloads list. So I guess I just contradicted myself. <shrugs>

I don't tend to use either of them.  I use keyboard shortcuts a lot when using anything else.  In the browser, my habits seem to change, and I always use the mouse, to the point of despising when I have to type in a url or search.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 10:26 AM »
In the browser, my habits seem to change, and I always use the mouse, to the point of despising when I have to type in a url or search.

Reminds me of something else: I miss the dropdown arrow to the right of address bar in Chrome a little bit.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2010, 03:02 AM »
When talking about basic stuff not working, I can't believe it but, I tried to bookmark a page with Chromium using Control-D.  Nuthin'.

Hmm... I just accidentally bookmarked a page when I pressed Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-F. If we hadn't had this discussion I would have had no idea why the page suddenly decided to bookmark itself.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Yeah, I shouldn't have to hit any key anyway.  The thing's a computer. It should be able to figure out when I want to bookmark the page. :)

Speaking of bookmarks, this one comes in handy now and then:

file:///C:/Bookmarks/bookmarks.html

Periodically I export my bookmarks there.
Sometimes I can't remember which folder I put the bookmark
in if it's seldom used.  A Control-F search usually picks it out.

Some might even use it for a home page. I like Speed Dial too much
to do that now that I'm used to it though.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:13 PM by MilesAhead »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Speed dial would work better for me if the speed dials were synced to the other browsers you use, like the combination of xmarks and fast dial does on firefox. Having to set them up per browser is rather annoying.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2010, 07:38 PM »

The Chromium nightly builds are 9.x now. I just put on 9.0.564.0 now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Speed dial would work better for me if the speed dials were synced to the other browsers you use, like the combination of xmarks and fast dial does on firefox. Having to set them up per browser is rather annoying.

Yeah, I did the built in sync with all the options enabled.  The only one I had to fix when moving to Chromium was SpeedDial.  Fortunately Vista and W7 both insist on being C:. I can just copy the settings from one machine over to the other when the first one is set up.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2010, 02:12 PM »
I have pad files for some of my programs.  They displayed fine in FF but looking at them directly in the browser was a muddle in chrome flavored browsers.

I just found this extension.  I'm just trying it out but it seems to format without intervention. Just install.  Also it works in Chromium nightly 9.x

https://chrome.googl...aagmckhpjbfgdfkpadb#

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 01:07 PM »
And now, back to the topic of version number whoring, chrome is now at v9 beta.

http://fileforum.bet...rome-v9/1220379960/5

The differences between v6 to v9, I cannot tell. I have installed each and see no discernible differences.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 01:14 PM »
And now, back to the topic of version number whoring, chrome is now at v9 beta.

What happened to version 8? Chrome says it's up to date and it's "only" on version 7.x.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I've given up on the channels and just download the chromium nightly build. I have XML Tree extension which makes it easy to look through the changes file.  The build I'm running now(64532) the changes file is almost empty. Looks like they fixed up most of what they're going to fix.

Also it occurs to me, Windows Seven is really Windows 6.1 if you look at the return from GetVersion() API call, maybe Chromium 8 9 10 11 is just 6.4532 which is the build number?  The published version number seems to be for PR purposes.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2010, 02:44 PM »
btw for those using Chromium nightly builds.. I haven't tracked down the build number, but at some point after 63747, Control-Shift-Click will not open a new Tab in Foreground.

I backed off to 63747 but then got the "you cannot use this profile because it's for a newer version of chrome" yadda yadda.  Copying an old profile fixed that.  So I didn't have to reconfigure Speed Dial and all the rest of it.

I tried the latest nightly build and it's still broken.

edit: I submitted a bug report.  See what happens.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:14 PM by MilesAhead »