ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome: Time for a Second Chance?

<< < (2/19) > >>

sajman99:
In addition to eliminating usage tracking and addressing other privacy concerns, the Chromium-based SRWare Iron already has a preliminary implementation of AdBlock which may satisfy most users. The adblock.ini indicates the implementation is based on http://fanboy.co.nz/adblock.

If a user's primary gripe with Chrome is the absence of AdBlock, SRWare Iron could be worth a look--they even have a portable version. http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Eóin:
I've been using Chrome on the pc I've also been trailing Win7 on and am very happy with it. Still though I miss one or two features from FireFox, mainly NoScript and Xmarks.

I for one though really like how Chrome looks with Aero Glass. Must also give SRWare Iron a spin.

jeromg:
I also tried Chrome when it was announced, as suggested by a friend of mine I read the end user license agreement... scary to say the least.
My view on this is that google has forgotten its original motto "don't be evil", they just launch a browser to get more data about what people are doing on the web and use that to improve their engines and above all to improve the monetization of their work through ads.
If you have the smallest concern about your privacy, don't use Chrome... Use firefox or even IE (given the scrutiny MS gets, you're probably safe)
By the way, you should also try alternative search engine, I must admit I don't use google a lot these days (try ask.com, exalead.com or even bing.com, their results are as good as, if not better than google). I hate monopolies and to me, google is probably one of the most perverse of all monopolies.

Jerome

Dormouse:
If you worry about info going to Google, you can always turn it off or use Iron. Definitely no reason to use ie; you might be safe from MS with ie but you're certainly not safe from anyone else.

I do check all the search engines, still find Google more useful than the others.

And I don't argue with the fact that they have produced more web based stuff that is useful to me than anyone else.

Agree about monopolies, but at least they made their own by being better than all the established companies. MS were given theirs by IBM & Apple effectively pinched stuff from Xerox and somehow established ownership of it. And in terms of leveraging their monopoly against their users, Google are a long way behind Apple and MS (in that order).

justice:
It's great and I'd love to use it all the time but I really need Roboform :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version