ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome: Time for a Second Chance?

<< < (16/19) > >>

Deozaan:
Incoming: Integrated PDF viewing is now in the beta channel.

I personally hate in-browser PDF viewing, but maybe Chrome will do it right. (I'm not using the beta.)

daddydave:
I couldn't print from the integrated PDF viewer in Chrome and I had to force it to use an external viewer. (I use PDF X-Change)

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmm, this is interesting.  I updated Chromium to 11.x and the Settings page Under The Hood has this stuff about suggesting pages if a url doesn't resolve etc..  To do this, guess what? It sends the info to Google!!

edit: now that I have 10.x set up again(10.0.602.0 seems to be the last one with the old style setting page) I see it had the same "features."  Even the phishing protection sounds like it's sending everything through Google.

Guess they figure if they just keeping popping it up we'll get tired of play whack-a-mole and giving up on pounding it back down. As it goes along it seems like the distinction between Chrome and Chromium is only semantic.

Version 11.x broke my AutoCopy extension so I had to back track anyway.

Just imagine if all the stuff Google collects is in print-outs someplace? I wonder how many trees that would be? :)

edit2: guess this setting has been noted for quite some time but they should really be lobbied to have it off by default.  Esp. if you use the portable archives, every time you update to a newer version you need to remember to disable the settings again.

MilesAhead:
by the way, does anyone know if there exists a chart where you can look up a version number to get the build number?

It's really messy the way they do the nightly builds.  When you try to get back to an older version with the version number you pretty much have to hunt down the date.  Even when you open a build folder and look in the revisions or change log xml file it doesn't give any version number info.

I haven't had any luck with search.  Only place they seem to be together is in the About Chromium dialog.

MilesAhead:
I'm trying the Chromium nightly that was just put on Softpedia.
11.0.668.0 build 74561

Just to be fair I thought I'd note that I had changed my settings Under The Hood under Privacy to disable all features.  The new portable picked up those settings.  Did not enable by default. One less thing to have to remember. I'm just trying it now. I don't see any obvious bugs at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version