ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What does this laptop key do?

<< < (3/3)

Jimdoria:
If it's a new machine, with all the factory-installed stuff from Dell, why don't you just open up the user guide app that Dell installs and look up what the function keys are for?

In other words, RTFM.

40hz:
If it's a new machine, with all the factory-installed stuff from Dell, why don't you just open up the user guide app that Dell installs and look up what the function keys are for?

In other words, RTFM.
-Jimdoria (July 06, 2009, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I don't think it's listed in the User Guide.

(Does that make it more like a FRTM? ;D)

Deozaan:
hm, I turned the brightness up to max and pushed it, but it didn't change the brightness, I will see if it makes the computer go to sleep after a minute
edit: I dunno, it doesn't seem to do anything on mine
-nite_monkey (July 04, 2009, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

The button on my netbook actually looks different than the one in your picture. I think my wife's laptop (also from Dell) has a button like yours and it doesn't do anything either. But we've done a full wipe and reinstall on her machine since she got it.

nite_monkey:
Didn't Dell have (or used to have) a utility called Quickset that, among other things, allowed you to map various things to the function keys. If I recall correctly that was what assigned all the little "icon" function keys (i.e. <Fn> + <icons on the keyboard>).

Is Quickset installed? :)
-40hz (July 06, 2009, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that is a used to have utility, because both mine, and my sister's (which is a year or two old) doesn't have that.

I guess it isn't to big of a deal anyways.

steeladept:
It came straight from dell's website, and I have all the drivers still installed. I did change the power settings though, but I wouldn't think that would change it. Are those Fn keys mapped in the registry somewhere? I know that the media keys on my desktop keyboard are mapped in the registry.
-nite_monkey (July 05, 2009, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, it depends on what you changed.  It may well have something to do with it.  This is only a trigger key to impliment some power setting changes as defined in the power settings configuration.  If you turned those settings off, it will trigger nothing and hence appear to do nothing.  To see it, you likely want to setup the power settings to Portable/Laptop, with the monitor, hard drives, and most of all system standby set to some time - 10 minutes maybe.  If this does what the buttons on my keyboard used to do, it will shortcut those times and put it in a lower power setting in less than the 10 minutes it shows.

Of course you can always remap it yourself to whatever you want. :P  Me, I would just have it open the properties so I could change them manually, or use it as a hotkey for another power manager to change to a different saved scheme all together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version