topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Utility To Intercept Windows' Shut Down/Sleep Requests  (Read 6867 times)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
:mad: Origin Of The Idea:  I have these power off and sleep buttons on my keyboard, and today I accidentally hit the power button while moving a stack of CDs around, losing a lot of things I was working on, had been working on for hours.  There is no specific software that needs to be installed for these buttons to work, I guess they just use Windows' own shut down calls or something.

How about a small program that sits in the tray or even runs as a system service that will watch for these calls to shut down or sleep, or even maybe log off, hibernate and restart calls, then pops up a dialog with a user defined countdown and the options to shut down immediately, wait "X" amount so that work can be saved, cancel the shutdown/log off/restart/sleep/hibernate, or with no interaction will countdown a user defined amount of minutes or seconds and then just let the computer shutdown/log off/restart/sleep/hibernate normally.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Utility To Intercept Windows' Shut Down/Sleep Requests
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:30 AM »
try this:
http://www.snapfiles...er/shutdownstop.html

see if it can stop sleep mode.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Utility To Intercept Windows' Shut Down/Sleep Requests
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:24 AM »
Nah, this just stops the shutdown completely.  I was thinking of one the presents a dialog, and offers a user defined countdown timer.  Set it for say 30 secs, and of there is no user input then it shuts down, or the user can cancel, sleep(wait) x amount of seconds in order to save work, or just click shutdown now for an immediate shutdown.  I would love to see this as a system service with a configurable .ini or .conf or a GUI to configure the service.