ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Companies Caught Spamming our Forum with Fake Posts

<< < (2/4) > >>

Veign:
nofollow is no longer valid from Google.  This was changed a couple weeks ago.

mouser:
wtf.. why not? is there no way to tell google and other search engines that you aren't supportive of a site just because you have a url to it??

how can a company like google build an entire system of reputation based on who links to who, and not provide a way for a site to link to another site and specify they aren't trying to give prestige to the site?

Veign:
They removed the way nofollow worked with respect to link juice.  I should explain.  The cast a vote of approval remains the same but nofollow links now hurt the way link juice flows around a website.  This means that the nofollow links take away from the juice that would have flowed to good links.

This is why page rank sculpting has changed.  There's a new way to do it.

Sorry for the quick post without explanation.

(I would remove the links to spammers even if it has nofollow so it doesn't hurt DC's website)

app103:
nofollow is no longer valid from Google.  This was changed a couple weeks ago.
-Veign (July 14, 2009, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only news I heard about nofollow was related to internal page rank sculpting for SEO purposes and not related to whether or not you vouch for external link targets.

From my understanding, Google still considers nofollow valid and is still encouraging its use for any links pointing to a target you will not stake the reputation of your site on, especially ones contained within user generated content and ads, preventing any of your page rank from flowing to those sites. It does not hurt you to use them on links with external targets.

What they changed is how much page rank flows to the links not containing that attribute.

Before if you had 3 links on a page, pointing to pages within your own site (an about page and 2 content pages) you could concentrate page rank that flowed to those 2 content pages and boost it by throwing nofollow on the link to the about page. That way the remaining 2 links would each get 50% of the available google juice.

Now, with the change, instead of dividing the PR juice between the links without the nofollow attribute, you get the same amount flowing to those 2 pages, even if the 3rd has nofollow.

So instead of boosting the page rank of pages on your own site by pushing 50/50, you still get only 33% going to each, with the exception of the one that has nofollow. That one would still get nothing.

Nothing was changed with regards to how much of your page rank would go to any link with the nofollow attribute. They still get nothing.

http://searchenginewatch.com/3634387

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

Rhutobello:
An idea might be to make a forum called "Spam & Inappropriate post",and move them there, as a warning to what might happen to those who don't follow postings rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version