topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Corel PaintShop Pro X - 4 Free  (Read 32755 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Corel PaintShop Pro X - 4 Free
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 05:28 AM »
Anyone else getting literally hundreds of error messages in the Event Viewer (applications) relating to the fact that the update service is not available for PSP X ???

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and still get errors constantly.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 10:23 AM »
The above method I posted works.  I am running my it without the Protexis service.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 11:06 AM »
The above method I posted works.  I am running my it without the Protexis service.

+1 with y0himba on this.

I've killed Protexis, and the copy of PSPx I downloaded courtesy of this offer is working just fine for me.

Go figure. :-\

(FWIW: I still have a copy of PSP version 7 loaded on my machine. And despite some of the very nice features found in the newer versions, I still prefer the older sibling. It's a lot easier to work with IMHO. Sometimes more = less. At least as far as I'm concerned.)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:10 AM by 40hz »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 02:49 PM »
2y0himba
As for me: I can disable this service but only temporary.

Removing Protexis files from system32 folder makes PSP call "repair tool". Letting them stay there enables service after a while. I did not figure out what is the cause. Either PSP checks randomly its existence or there is something truly hidden on system startup. I don't know yet.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 03:15 PM »
(FWIW: I still have a copy of PSP version 7 loaded on my machine. And despite some of the very nice features found in the newer versions, I still prefer the older sibling. It's a lot easier to work with IMHO. Sometimes more = less. At least as far as I'm concerned.)

Glad to see I am not alone.  :)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I have Jasc Animation Shop v3.11 here still, easiest and best GIF animator I have ever used  :Thmbsup:

Zband-ed

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 05:38 PM »
This post involves registry changes.  Back yours up, especially if your new at modding the registry.

I know that I am new to this forum but I found out something that I thought some of you would like to know.  I was having the same problem with my free copy of PSP 10.10 Lexar.  I HATE having processes running that are unnecessary especially slipped in my without my permission (Protexis).  I was having a problem of getting rid of Protexis because every time I followed the instructions to remove Protexis PSP would pop up the repair tool saying that is was broken and needed to be repaired.  It (repair tool) would gather information presumably about protexis being gone or missing and then reinstall.  What causes the PSP to call up the repair tool is in the registry and it is not hard to find.

1.  Start by removing what the program is using to reinstall protexis with.  If you go to your windows explorer and look in the same directory as corel you may see that under the installed version of PSP is the original files to install the program.

C:\Program Files\Core\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\ <----- This being the main dir of the prog once installed.

Right under this I found in the same corel directory
C:\Program Files\Core\Corel Paint Shop Pro X - Installation Files\

Please keep in mind yours may be different if you located your installation files in another place.

If you installation files are located in the same directory as the program is then you must remove the entire installation file directory.

As soon as you do this if you run PSP 10 you will notice the inherent windows msi installer complaining that it can't find the installation files.  This will keep the Protexis from being reinstalled.

2.  I know it's annoying having a broken installer popping up every time you run a prog so...
Go to the registry. Start>Run>regedit and press enter

Find the following Key
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\A70551A11558626419D5D3F50A59CCB1]

In this key you will notice that you are in the right place as you will find similar info.

"PackageCode"="E93985F810B037240A653351BCA2E880"
I deleted the contents of this line
"ProductIcon"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Installer\\{1A15507A-8551-4626-915D-3D5FA095CC1B}\\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe"
Please note that I only deleted what was in bold between the quotes.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\A70551A11558626419D5D3F50A59CCB1\SourceList]
"PackageName"="pspx.msi"   <---- This is what the repair tool is using to reinstall protexis with

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\A70551A11558626419D5D3F50A59CCB1\SourceList\Media]
"DiskPrompt"="Corel Paint Shop Pro X"
  Notice here that the registry is saying DISKPROMPT

I deleted all of the contents of the lines where I saw
                   Package Content
                   Product Icon
                   PackageName
                   DiskPrompt
                       .... and lastly find the installation directory path and delete it also

Under one of these directories you should find the directory/path that is listed in your Windows Explorer as the PSP Installation file directory.  Hint,Hint,Hint remember what I showed you mine above was. Your installation directory should be listed in one of the directories; delete what the key says for the installation directory.

After I made these few changes to my system my PSP flashes the repair tool at me very briefly and then disappears and PSP works just fine.  Protexis is also gone!!!  I hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:44 PM by Zband-ed »

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Excellent post! :up:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 11:03 AM »
a script to remove protexis-any version

ipman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I tried PaintShop Pro X and I would say I prefer old version (3.12). IMHO PSP X is a bloatware.

y0himba, JASC Animation Shop v.3 rocks!