topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need suggestion for a SourceForge alternative  (Read 9211 times)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need suggestion for a SourceForge alternative
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:25 AM »
Hi DCs,

my brother, together with his team, is developing a game as a project within his bachelor study. The project will be evaluated by the professor and counts to his final exam.

He is in need for a cooperative developer site like SourceForge with SVN hosting (thats vital) and if possible bugtracker and other whistles and bells for team development (not vital - svn only is acceptable too).

The problem is, that no money is available for the project. So he is in need for a free service.

SourceForge is great and exactly what he needs, but in the free account plan, he told me, you are like a second class user with very slow connections (e.g. SVN with 1KB/s).

Any experience with XPDev.com e.g.? Other good ones come to mind?

Would be great if someone can help out with some more suggestions and or own experience reports.

TIA very much
JoTo

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need suggestion for a SourceForge alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 05:40 AM »
If he's okay to have the source code available to the public then i can recommend Assembla.com - there's a free plan with generous limits (although games assets might be too large for the free plan) or you could try google code - afaik no limits but again source must be available.

Alternatively as its a educational project write to some of these people like assembla with circumstances and project deadline they might donate it.
Also if any of them has  a spare machine its really easy to setup your own svn using visualsvn server. No knowledge required.
Can't install Trac on that though in the latest version.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:43 AM »
For planning/communication I'd recommend either Zoho planner (not tried myself) or ProjectPier if a linux server is available somewhere. You won't need these if you go with Assembla or Google code because they come with the whole lot included.

You might have some luck finding new startups in this area looking at ReadWriteWeb who cover that kind of thing, making a few searches.

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:26 AM »
Thanks Justice! I'll forward your informations to my brother. I think public source is not a problem as this project will be published anyway as a dissertation within a study. :)

Greetings
JoTo

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:51 PM »
Hi Joto,

Google Code is good alternative and you can choose from various licenses as well. Other than that GitHub also offers hosting. Some freewares are also hosted on ohloh. Try them!

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Git on Windows is still pretty rough around the edges. If you're going to be committing from Windows, I would recommending using a service that supports SVN.

Ehtyar.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:17 PM »
I found this on Stackoverflow, may be it'll help others as well.

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 12:05 AM »
Mahesh2K and Ehtyar,

Thank you very much. All your suggestions forwarded to my brother. On Maheshs Stackoverflow links are some more sites to check. Thats very helpful.

Now it's my brothers turn to look and decide. :)

Thanks again to all for reading and recommendations. As always there is no topic DC Community isn't able to say sth. useful. Woohoo! :) :) :)

Greetings
JoTo

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20 AM »
I can also suggest berlios.de, which is sort of a clone of sourceforge. However, berlios suffered from poor performance in the past, I don't know how reliable they are now, so I cannot recommend it.

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:45 AM »
Sorry for delayed answer.

Thank you all. He ended up to use Google Code. All that he needs and nice capabilites and performance.

So you guys guided me in the right direction and i have now +1 at my scoreboard hosted by him for me. :)

Greetings
JoTo