topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Download vids from crackle.com impossible?  (Read 16878 times)

slemmigfisk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Download vids from crackle.com impossible?
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:39 AM »
For example any of these vids:
http://crackle.com/c/Penn_Says

I think it's my second time i couldn't get to the correct url with urlsnooper.

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Download vids from crackle.com impossible?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:29 PM »
don't click the link...I would not...what is the intention with the question....maybe to deliver a not wanted present?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:27 PM »
What's wrong with the link - it is just a video blog from Penn of "Penn & Teller" - maybe someone wants to use URLsnooper to grab the video - though it looks to me as though it is encapsulated in Flash so URLsnooper is unlikely to help.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:56 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the link.  I am able to stream crackle to my TV using PlayOn and the Crackle Plugin for it.  Interesting discussion here:

http://www.playonplu...php/topic,595.0.html

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:36 AM »
Well....I see you all are more open minded then me :)

Why did I react?

1) It is the first post for the member, which has chosen to stay free, not that I shall hold it against him/her...but then he/she is also more anonymous then one who have shown prsonal details.

2) The question is.....why come to Donation coder and ask this type of question, when I am sure there are other sites that has such as special field?

3) Why give a specific link, if download from crackle.com is impossible, (why are the site still open)why not point to the site...we all are able to find it, if we put it into our search and have a will to go there. If you put up a link, then it is very easy to hit it one time to much.

4) I am admin on another fairly big site, the more popular a site is, the more it will be targeting for spam/trojans/spyware.
This is mostly delivered by links, given in order for someone to investigate a question, or to give a carrot for someone to visit a site....the main thing is to get someone to hit the link.
With known members is this a no issue...with new members I am always careful!

I am maybe wrong, but I thought this was thing regulars on Donation coder knew....or maybe I am just out in the blue :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:01 AM »
If he has downloaded URLSnooper and can't get it to work it is logical that he came here to aska question (however cryptic) since Mouser wrote the app and this is the only forum likely to offer support.

It seems reasonable that if he is trying to download a specific video or from a specific website that he gives the URL so people can see what he is trying to acheive. It he just wrote "I can't get URLsnooper to work" the first question people would ask is for the URL of the video he is trying to grab.

I have to say it is quite common to get requests about URLsnooper because it promises to help with downloading videos but since the app was originally conceived many websites have gone over to encapsulating video in Flash precisely to stop apps like URLsnooper from giving people download access to the video. Many users think URLsnooper will be the magic bullet but the fact is that it does not work on Flash based websites (or at least didn't - I haven't used it in a while now because it doesn't work with Flash video).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:03 AM by Carol Haynes »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43 AM »
sorry to be OT but Carol, can you please explain what is "encapsulating video in Flash". i too seem to have more problems nowadays with downloading streaming videos. i run URLSnooper and it detects files ending in .swf but off-line, these files don't work. now i'm thinking maybe that's why so i'm trying to gather more info about this new method. :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:12 AM »
AIUI the video is not contained in the SWF file it just acts as a mechanism to access the video in FLV format. The methods previously used to capture streams in WMV etc. don't work in these circumstances.

There are some tools that can capture the FLV video files (such as DownloadHelper addon in Firefox) but they tend to be tailored to a specific set of websites (crackle is not detected by DownloadHelper) and if you do manage to get the video file you need to use something like FLV plaver to view them on your computer.

Transcoding FLV files into other formats is possible but I have never seen a method that gives acceptable results for burning to a DVD.

slemmigfisk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18 AM »
2) The question is.....why come to Donation coder and ask this type of question, when I am sure there are other sites that has such as special field?

Is there a better place to ask questions about urlsnooper than this very spot?

Anyway, no harm done, crackle.com does sounds questionable. I would have personally googled the domain before blowing the whisle though. :)

Carol: FLV files are fine, usually urlsnooper can get at the right url and i can download from just about any site with urlsnooper+nettransport. This is i think the second time i have just had to give up, i thought i should just throw it out here and see if i was doing something wrong, i guess not.
Btw, i tried DownloadHelper in firefox, and it did not work with youtube, it's probably because they have recently done some change on the site. That's why i use urlsnooper, if they change something chances are urlsnooper will still work after a few manual changes, while other apps just stops working at that point and need updates.

If Mouser is reading this, something that would be useful (at least for me ;)) is a possibility to save the keyword filters, and name it something (like the domain name it was used for), i always forget what filter i was using. If i was to download several files from a site it's pretty much a must to filter out all the gunk.

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:30 AM »

Anyway, no harm done, crackle.com does sounds questionable. I would have personally googled the domain before blowing the whisle though. :)

Yes, and another thing that also might have been smart, was to state that" I use urlsnooper, and have problems with downloading of files from XXXYY" are there other member of DC that have exp so?
By mention URlsnooper we state the connection to DC from the poster, and not from the reader, which not always are equal ..hehehe...just look at me :)
But again..I can now see the forum is mauser zone url snooper....hehehe so I go and kill myself....or something like that :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:33 AM by Rhutobello »

compn

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:02 PM »
you will find more help in downloading streams at the stream recording forum: http://stream-recorder.com/forum/

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 04:12 AM »
Yes, and another thing that also might have been smart, was to state that" I use urlsnooper,

It is implicitly stated as it posted on the URLSnooper board ;)