topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MiniReview: Trout - A great audio player for audiobooks  (Read 11958 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Basic Info

App NameTrout
App URLhttp://skwire.dcmemb...s/software/trout.php
App Version Reviewed1.0.3
Supported OSesWinXp and greater
Forum Discussionhttps://www.donation...ex.php?topic=16157.0
Pricing SchemeFreeware/Donationware
Author Donation LinkDonate to Skwire, the author of Trout
Relationship btwn. Reviewer and Product I'm just a user and fan of the program.

Trout is an audio player that DC member Skwire started writing as an entry to our NANY (New Apps for the New Year) Challenge on DonationCoder.  For those of us who aren't into fancy skins and prefer a more compact, clean, standard listview user interface, Trout is a breath of fresh air.

Screenshot - 7_3_2009 , 8_26_32 PM.png

Trout has tons of features that one might expect in a serious audio player (lyrics, album art, etc.).  But truthfully I don't care about or use such features.  What I wanted to write about was how uniquely useful Trout is for listening to Audiobooks.

Why is Trout good for listening to Audiobooks?

Trout makes it really simple to load up a directory of tracks and sort by filename or track name, and makes it really easily to save and load playlists.  Ok nothing special there -- but it's done well and no weirdness like the Microsoft Media Player where its hard to work with the song list or sort by different fields.

It has an option that will announce, using text-to-speech (or a simple tone), the audio file tracks as they are played.  This can be incredibly useful in two situations when listening to audio books.  First, it helps you remember which tracks you were last listening to when you went to sleep.  And second, it helps you navigate tracks using the keyboard (media keys are supported) even when the monitor is off.

It has a very nice big track progress display that you can click on to easily jump around.

While these may seem like minor features -- they do make Trout the best audio player for audio books that i have found.

And of course, one of the best things is that if you make a feature request, it's very likely skwire will try to implement it.  :up:

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview: Trout - A great audio player for audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Trout seems like a small audio player, i gotta give it a real try one of these days. Oh and nice review mouser! :Thmbsup:
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

ghacks

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:06 AM »
Well I'm going to give it a try. And Cat Power.. Is very nice!

gentk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 04:00 AM »
Looks like a bare bones Foobar2000 config