ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows XP & sata drive

(1/3) > >>

mrHappy:
Not as much a software as a hardware question.
I'm considering buying a VelociRaptorto install windows on, but do I need any special sata drivers to use under the installation of windows or has microsoft made is so that you don't need special drivers in sp2/sp3 anymore?

Lashiec:
I don't think so. My drives are all SATA, and I did not have any problem installing Windows XP right from the CD. It did have SP2 slipstreamed, so as long as you have it slipstreamed in the installation CD too, you won't have any problem.

steeladept:
If I remember correctly, XP does NOT include any SATA drivers.  However, the Mobo manufacturers include them in the support drivers provides as long as you have on board SATA.  If not, and you are instead using an add-in card, the support drivers should be located on the disk provided (or downloaded as the case may be).  Either way, the drivers should be available by the hardware provider.

4wd:
It depends whether your BIOS has the SATA interfaces set to 'IDE Compatible' mode or not.

If they're set to 'AHCI' or 'RAID' then you will most likely require the drivers for your motherboard and hit F6 at the start of XP installation to use them, (you can stick them on a flash drive, make sure it's plugged in before booting the CD).

f0dder:
4wd: XP only supports loading drivers from floppy, flash drive support wasn't introduced until Vista (unless it's an addition in SP3).

mrHappy: you can indeed run your SATA drives in "compatibility mode" in your BIOS, and then you won't need drivers... but then you won't get the full benefit from the drives (NCQ and such). It's pretty easy slipstreaming drivers to your install disc though, so I'd definitely run in AHCI mode :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version