ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Generic.dx Trojan

(1/4) > >>

Mystic-One:
Hi, Im new to this site, but I joined because I have an issue I'm not quite sure of...
I've been trying to download a fix for a video game I have on my laptop...Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords...It seems that it doesnt work on windows Vista without a fixed exe file...But the only file I could find came from gamecopyworld.com...and when i scan it, Mcafee tells me that it found a Generic.dx trojan inside and immediately quarantines it...
However, after looking all over the net to find out more info on this trojan, I keep reading that it may be a "false-positive" from Mcafee....So is this a real virus or not? Normally I wouldnt even try to use any infected file, but unfortunately this is the only file that could possibly fix my game...Can anyone please help me here? Is this a real virus, and if so, what does it do? I REALLY want to play this damn game, but I cant afford to infect my computer...Can anyone help me?

mouser:
i doubt this will help you specifically since it's a little involved and it's not specifically about your issue,

but one thing that can be done in a case where you need to try out some program that you fear could be harmful to your pc is to install some Virtual Machine software, and a change detection program (like Ashampoo Uninstaller) on the virtual machine, and then run the program, and then compare snapshots of the machine using the change detection program, and look to see if any evil changes have been made to system files, etc.

Dormouse:
i doubt this will help you specifically since it's a little involved and it's not specifically about your issue,
-mouser (July 13, 2009, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Except that in a situation like this, it seems to be the only safe way of checking it out without risking the computer

Mystic-One:
Hmmm...What sucks..Is I dont know how to do any of that! lol

PhilB66:
Submit it to Sunbelt CWSandbox, CWSandbox or ThreatExpert for analysis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version