topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Faster computer?  (Read 2804 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Faster computer?
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:39 AM »
Can switching browsers speed-up your machine?

I downloaded Chrome and made it the default during installation... but what else changed?

Now my machine seems to startup faster and perform better... or is this just wishful thinking?

I guess this could also be a sign that my old IE9 was highjacked?   :tellme:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Faster computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Most web-sites are optimized for the webkit render engine (used by Chrome and its derivatives). Internet Explorer uses a different engine to render content in a browser. This could be the base on which you perceive your speed gains.

By taking absolute measurements (benchmark software, stopwatch) you have facts supporting your statement that your computer works and boots faster. Not just perception and/or wishful thinking.

To clarify: most people don't even notice when overall speed gains of a computer are 5% or less. Between 6% and 10% of overall speed gains, some people start to notice. Almost anyone notices overall speed gains above 10%.

Problem is that it can be quite difficult to get to the double digits in overall speed gains. If you haven't done so already, installing your operating system on a SSD hard disk will make your system boot and work much(!) faster. The next step is to replace/expand the RAM modules in your computer to the max amount of modules you can place in it and by making sure those modules are working at the maximum speed that is supported by your motherboard.

When you apply these steps to any computer, you will have those double digit overall speed gains. Usually for much less money than buying a new computer. There still some gains to have by keeping your data and operating system separated and upgrading your SATA2 hard disk for a new/bigger SATA3 model (if supported by your computer). If your computer doesn't have the fastest processor it can support, you still have options there to get quite some speed gains too.

The steps above will make your computer faster, in factual and absolute sense.

At any given time you buy a new (consumer) computer, it is always best to fit the fastest supported processor (with complete feature-set!) on it. The other elements you can get rather easily in parts/aftermarket if you need to spread those purchases over time. If you have a budget that does allow all purchases at once, do so. With such a new computer it will take a lot longer before the wish to upgrade appears again in your mind.

If you pass such a computer on to a partner or (one of) your kid(s), he/she won't complain. Or if you want to sell it, resale value is much higher for a well-treated secondhand computer that already has all the fastest parts from the beginning.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Faster computer?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Can switching browsers speed-up your machine?

I downloaded Chrome and made it the default during installation... but what else changed?

Now my machine seems to startup faster and perform better... or is this just wishful thinking?

I guess this could also be a sign that my old IE9 was highjacked?

I forgot to mention that I noticed the 'speed-up' the following day.  It was after installing Chrome but before going online.

My apps opened faster.  The 'My Pictures' window opened instantly, right where I had left it.

Back in my BC (before Chrome) days... the My Pictures window would open almost anywhere and sometimes it would be smaller.

I think something was changed... for the better.  :)

P.S.  I love the way Chrome shows my 'DC post-previews' instantly! :-*  IE9 would kick-back and think about it sometimes.  ;D