ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

bookTome the book organiser

<< < (2/3) > >>

MrCrispy:
I'm interested why you'd not use an online service like Goodreads?
-Perry Mowbray (July 13, 2009, 04:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you for that suggestion, I love to read and that's a great site.

mnemonic:
There's also the fantastic LibraryThing, which has an online bookshelf and all of the book-related social-interaction you'd ever need.

sajman99:
Thanks to all posters for the book-related links. :Thmbsup: If anybody happens to be interested in e-books, you may want to check out an open source cross-platform library management software named Calibre.

app103:
Calibre looks like it might be just the thing to replace My Ebook Library, which was a great application, but it disappeared.

:Thmbsup:

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Calibre Manages Your E-Book Collection
http://lifehacker.com/5169425/calibre-manages-your-e+book-collection#comments

Lifehacker, and numerous comments.  Looks like it is worth a good try, note that a few people apparently messed up their collection structure, because they did not point Calibre to an empty folder as output when reading their disk.

From reading up, now I am ready to consider BookTome (apparently more native for home collection), Calibre, Zotero and Jabref (reference manager).  (Seeing JabRef thread, add Mendeley and note Aigaion, server-based and OOoBib, Open Office based) Especially if I get back to my project that has a couple of hundred books involved.  Is BookTome helpful in that mix ?  Possibly, note that it is freeware but not open source, which might be a concern in using it for a major home library project.

Thats the major freeware installed software stuff, online tools like LibraryThing, GoodReads, Anobii, Worldcat, Abacci all have their own dynamic, a bit different.

Good timing, I'm hoping to get back into this world shortly.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version