Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 19, 2014, 11:32:22 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Battle of the 6 Online Malware (AntiVirus) File Scanners  (Read 7375 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

Over at the Raymond.CC blog there is a nice comparison today of 6 different online antivirus scanners.

We've discussed most of these sites before on DonationCoder.  You might be thinking to yourself "I already have an antivirus tool installed -- why do I need a slow online version?".

The answer is simple: These online sites will scan a submitted file using a large number of different commercial antivirus engines.  This is exactly what you want to do if you need to figure out if a virus alarm is real or just a false positive overreaction by your specific antivirus tool.  This happens quite frequently, and is especially important if you are a software author.  These tools are the best way to find out if there is a consensus among antivirus engines about a file.

I will compare the number of antivirus engines used to scan an uploaded file, time taken to upload and scan, extra file upload methods, file information, upload progress meter and report page. I will also test the accuracy of the antivirus engines by scanning it with a detected version of Bifrost trojan.

Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »

VirusTotal FTW! They improved even more the service by including analysis of the files with PeID, for those looking for more technical details. Besides, it's a Spanish site, which is even better Grin
Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »

Another great online tool, IMHO, is the Norman Sandbox analyzer:

http://www.norman.com/microsites/nsic/Submit/

The file submitted is run trough a Sandbox, so the effects can be analyzed and are then reported by mail.

Bye!

Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:05 AM »

Now VirusTotal have added my TrID file identifier among their analysis tools!  Thmbsup

K Sue Westerman
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »

This looks like something i need for my whole computer and the external backup drive! can anyone tell me what is the process- looked at the site and am not sure what to do to get the process. Please advise tellme
K Sue Westerman
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »

FROM SUE AGAIN- i am (obviously) computer illiterate.  Cant even sign in to raymonds site to ask questions-on the registration site it asks for the referrer- i put in donation decoder and mouser but that gets me nowhere.
Thank you to anyone who will help embarassed
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »

Now VirusTotal have added my TrID file identifier among their analysis tools!

just one more sign that VirusTotal is one of the smartest online antivirus scanners  thumbs up thumbs up
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »

FROM SUE AGAIN- i am (obviously) computer illiterate.  Cant even sign in to raymonds site to ask questions-on the registration site it asks for the referrer- i put in donation decoder and mouser but that gets me nowhere.
Thank you to anyone who will help embarassed
Hi Sue.
That's probably because mouser isn't a member of raymond's forum Wink
Don't worry, just leave that field blank and you should be able to register!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.061s | Server load: 0.02 ]