ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 28-09

<< < (2/3) > >>

rjbull:
CompuServe isn't exactly gone.  It's changed into another Webmail system, i.e. supply your own ISP instead of using CompuServe itself.  There's no option for POP3 that I can see, which is a pity as most of the alternatives I've tried do have POP3.

Ehtyar:
CompuServe isn't exactly gone.  It's changed into another Webmail system, i.e. supply your own ISP instead of using CompuServe itself.  There's no option for POP3 that I can see, which is a pity as most of the alternatives I've tried do have POP3.
-rjbull (July 13, 2009, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's gone if you ask me, they're just letting everyone keep their email addresses (assuming someone somewhere still holds one).

Ehtyar.

rjbull:
That's gone if you ask me, they're just letting everyone keep their email addresses
-Ehtyar (July 13, 2009, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could still be useful to me for legacy reasons.  Some programs and forums I bought/signed up for when CI$ was the only Internet address I had, and can't always remember which they are.  Some of them send information on updates, but only on rare occasions.  I thought it would be easier to keep that address than trying to change everything.  I wish CompuServe'd added POP3 like Google, Yahoo UK and GMX, but there you are.

Ehtyar:
Fair enough.

Really I'm not sure how the free email services manage to keep a viable business model going after enabling POP3/IMAP/SMTP. Is it possible to have your CompuServe email forwarded to your Gmail/Yahoo account?

Ehtyar.

rjbull:
Really I'm not sure how the free email services manage to keep a viable business model going after enabling POP3/IMAP/SMTP.
-Ehtyar (July 14, 2009, 07:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's a good point.  Maybe they get enough Web business to deliver ad revenue.  I hope they won't take your comment to heart   ;)

Is it possible to have your CompuServe email forwarded to your Gmail/Yahoo account?

--- End quote ---

Don't think so.  I didn't think to look for that specifically, but there certainly wasn't anything obvious, and I've skimmed through the options.  It has a calendar and spam controls, but is pretty bare-bones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version