ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

DonationCoder Temporary Emergency Backup Forum URL -- make note of it

<< < (3/3)

mouser:
i think i misunderstood what you were saying -- i was confused because i think you were talking about 2 different things.

let's take your comments one at a time.

Might I suggest a test then sometime so that people can verify they can access it before it is needed?
--- End quote ---

the backup forum is online, you can go now and verify that you can access it, and bookmark it; it's on a different server and so should be available even if main server crashes: http://forum.dcmembers.com/

Also, isn't there some way to put up a default message to tell people instead of the default 404 error message?
--- End quote ---
if you're point is that when the main donationcoder server crashes, couldn't we put up a link on the main donationcoder.com server to the backup forum that people could click.  this will depend.  if the entire server crashes, this isn't easily possible because of DNS/nameserver propagation delays, etc.  If we can, we will.  But if things go really wrong, it won't be something we have control over.  that's why it's important for people to make note of the url now.  Also pays to remember our irc chat channel (#donationcoder on efnet) which is an alternative place to go.

steeladept:
Sort of.  I was thinking if the entire site went down, the ISP would serve up the 404 that may be customizable.  Again, I don't know if that is true, but that was what I was thinking.  As for the testing, you are correct on all counts of what I meant.

mouser:
Sort of.  I was thinking if the entire site went down, the ISP would serve up the 404 that may be customizable.
--- End quote ---

a 404 is a page served up by the web server when a page is missing -- when a server goes down, so goes the web server program, making the server completely unresponsibe.

now, what *should* be commonplace, but is instead completely unheard of for reasons beyond my comprehension, would be a system by which a hosting company or parent network, or indeed a centralized service, which could be informed of network problems/down servers and show specific information to the user about where to go.

perhaps this would be a nice opportunity for a trusted 3d party browser plugin and web service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version