topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us a photo of your mutt or other creatures..  (Read 576568 times)

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us a photo of your mutt or other creatures..
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2012, 02:01 PM »
rgdot - wish I could say it was original with me, I saw it many years ago and it resonated!  :)
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2012, 10:36 PM »

Rabbitfeathers

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2012, 02:05 AM »
Cute !!!  :Thmbsup:

Rabbitfeathers -- you took those photos? fantastic!

yep , backyard and patio  photos.  No long lenses. Animals seemed almost  eager to "pose". They had the run of the property it was their turf and since I was the food and water guy they gave me a pass.  There was never anyone else around to spook them so I could just walk about and take shots at will as long as I moved slowly for the closeups ...   More recently circumstances are less ideal.   Hope to get a good digital camera though and get more shots before I retire from running a 5 star wild animal retreat.

17-Doves DinnerTime MidYard1.jpg

I'm Glad you appreciated them, its the only record I have of some special relationships. In some ways many of them were more "domesticated " than pets because they chose to be there and yet others remained quite wild-skittish and unaccessible for a closeup.  I think the closeness of the lense brings out a bit of the personality, that you don't see from a more customary distance.

20-woodpecker at feeder gd.jpg

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:59 PM by Rabbitfeathers, Reason: add digital image »

sicknero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2012, 05:11 AM »
Miscellaneous beasties... (completely failed to work out how to embed images here)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:16 AM by sicknero »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2012, 07:11 AM »
Miscellaneous beasties... (completely failed to work out how to embed images here)

Miscellaneous beasties lol - and very cute :)
that spider looks like she just had a lot of babies! I think they're the spiders that actually eat other spiders. I've seen a very similar spider killing another spider here a while back and then read up about them (somewhere...)

In case you need it in the future:
Embedding images - in the screenshot below - see the link inline image - select one of thos options for each image (full size/thumbnail etc)

Screenshot - 2012-04-10 , 14_07_15.pngShow us a photo of your mutt or other creatures..

Then add images below the post where the mouse is.

PS is that a furry squid with the first cat :D
Tom

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2012, 07:36 PM »
  My dear wolf, Lobo, recently died but never forgotten....

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Beautiful looking dog, Tinman. I'm sorry for your loss.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Cute creatures, sicknero -- except for the house centipede  >:(

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Beautiful looking dog, Tinman. I'm sorry for your loss.

Wolf, Mouser.  Wolf!  Thanks though....  I used to have 3 wolves, but they have all perished from old age.  They outlawed owning wolves in Texas (dips#!+ politicians), but I was grandfathered in since I already owned 3.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2012, 11:48 AM »
We had to put my dog Molly down today. She started having siezures, went blind, could barely breath on her own, and was in a constant state of panic. And all of that happend in just the last 2 days. She was a rescue so we don't know her exact age, but I'd say she was 3-ish when she came to us ... and we've had her about 13 years.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2012, 12:23 PM »
SJ - I'm so sorry.  That's never easy.  Been there many times.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07 PM »
We had to put my dog Molly down today. She started having siezures, went blind, could barely breath on her own, and was in a constant state of panic. And all of that happend in just the last 2 days. She was a rescue so we don't know her exact age, but I'd say she was 3-ish when she came to us ... and we've had her about 13 years.

So sorry for your loss SJ - At least you know you gave her a good home for her long life! - Be proud!

Go get yourself a drink of something heavily alcoholic and toast to her memory :) :beerchug:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21 PM »

I'm sorry SJ...

had to go find her:
And Here's Molly (She's a rescue) by our pool:

Molly was only supposed to be visiting for a weekend, but she curled up in my lap that Saturday morning ... and never left. To be honest, I caved in less than 20 minutes.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Stoic Joker, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Just try to remember how happy and lucky a life she had because of you.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2012, 03:41 PM »
So sorry to hear that Stoic Joker.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2012, 02:23 AM »
So sad for you!  :(

The only comfort when that happens, is that you could end her suffering....

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2012, 01:56 PM »
dogs.jpg

Couldn't think of anywhere else to put this.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Amen to ^that^  :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Related to my picture, I just found this:

http://www.nypost.co...TUdSg88IDfYBmzrD5N3H

Kilo, a 12-year-old pit bull, was shot during a terrifying home invasion robbery attempt as he lunged at a thug posing as a FedEx deliveryman.

The bullet amazingly ricocheted off Kilo’s skull and exited through his neck — sparing the dog from certain death.

bobgott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2012, 12:32 PM »
45 mph couch potatoes (when they're not running)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2012, 02:38 AM »
Just found this on Facebook, thought it worth the share...

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My house training took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being your dog to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you

The moral of the story...

Love your pets like they love you, and never dismiss them as "Just an animal" ... They are part of our families and part of our lives...and if you have committed to getting a pet, you should treat them as good as you would a child.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55 AM »

ABSOLUTELY!!!

+101

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: May 02, 2012, 06:40 AM »
Love your pets like they love you, and never dismiss them as "Just an animal" ... They are part of our families and part of our lives...and if you have committed to getting a pet, you should treat them as good as you would a child.
-Stephen66515 (May 02, 2012, 02:38 AM)

Damn Straight!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Thank you for sharing that, Stephen66515. My motto (which my wife fortunately agrees with) is: love me, love my dog.