ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

McAfee again. Don't ask.

<< < (6/7) > >>

app103:
I ditched AVG for Avast and I will admit it does freak out and give many more false positives.

Exmples:

A photoshop plugin I have had for many years will trigger it whenever I attempt to run Paintshop Pro. I can't remember which one it was. Wasn't one I use that often so I just got rid of the plugin to make it shut up and let me run PSP.

The game Magic Ball 2.

Older version of PS Tray Factory (annoyed me so much I paid to upgrade)

And it also went nuts every time I ran LBC after mouser's inclusion of nircmd. (I had to remove nircmd)

In most cases I can tell it to ignore and the application is somewhat usable until I run it again and have to again tell it to ignore whatever it is screaming about. (I can't seem to be able to tell Avast to ignore anything permanently. It just ignores the exclude list.)

The exception is Magic Ball 2, which is completely unplayable unless I turn Avast's background scanning off, before running it. I contacted Avast and even sent them a copy of the file, but they claim the file is "damaged" and therefore they aren't going to do anything about it. (it is not damaged) I have also contacted Alawar and let them know, but never heard anything back from them.

Innuendo:
Gosh, I think I'd be more inclined to trash the AV program that wouldn't work well with my programs rather than trash the programs that didn't work with the AV program.

False positives are a fact of life. Just about every AV program has one or two every once in a while, but if I can't tell the AV program to ignore it permanently then soon I'm going to be looking for a new way to scan for viruses.

cyberdiva:
Gosh, I think I'd be more inclined to trash the AV program that wouldn't work well with my programs rather than trash the programs that didn't work with the AV program.
-Innuendo (August 06, 2009, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure whether this is in response to what I said about getting rid of Online Armor, but I think I should explain that I received a registered copy for free in some special offer.  I was simply trying it out.  There was a lot I didn't like about it--e.g., it slowed down my computer, and it tried to be an anti-malware and an anti-virus program (although it was supposed to be just a firewall) and interfered with other programs I have for those functions.  It turned out to be incompatible with McAfee, but that was only one of the reasons I got rid of it.

BTW, I think I have less patience with false positives than you do.  They make me waste lots of time and they raise my angst level.  Any program that reports a false positive more than once in a blue moon is a program I think seriously about replacing.

Innuendo:
I'm not sure whether this is in response to what I said about getting rid of Online Armor, but I think I should explain that I received a registered copy for free in some special offer.-cyberdiva (August 06, 2009, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, no. I was replying to April & didn't think quoting was necessary because I was posting right below her. She got rid of a PaintShop Pro plugin, a game, a program included with one of Mouser's program, and upgraded another program all in the name of keeping McAfee happy. I don't think I would have been so understanding of McAfee's inability to play nice with others.

There was a lot I didn't like about it--e.g., it slowed down my computer, and it tried to be an anti-malware and an anti-virus program (although it was supposed to be just a firewall) and interfered with other programs I have for those functions.
--- End quote ---

I've never used Online Armor, but it definitely has caused some people problems on their systems. Heck, it was on Giveaway Of The Day recently and the comments section was filled with people who still felt like they were ripped off even though they paid nothing for it.  :D

Agnitum as a free version of their Outpost firewall program that has been well received. It's the only firewall besides Online Armor that scores 100% in leak tests.

BTW, I think I have less patience with false positives than you do.  They make me waste lots of time and they raise my angst level.
--- End quote ---

Can't be having that or you'd have to be emailing Mouser and having him change your forum name to EmoDiva or something similar.

Any program that reports a false positive more than once in a blue moon is a program I think seriously about replacing.
--- End quote ---

Sometimes false positives are not really false. One example of this is some security software. Some anti-malware programs will flag them because they can be used for bad as well as good. Another thing to consider is the context of the alert. I had to set up a keylogger for a client who needed to see what some wayward employee wase up to on a company PC. His anti-malware program immediately flagged it as Generic.PS (Password Stealer). Of course, a keylogger could be used to steal passwords so that was a valid alarm even though the program was on the computer for a valid purpose.

cyberdiva:
Oh, no. I was replying to April & didn't think quoting was necessary because I was posting right below her. She got rid of a PaintShop Pro plugin, a game, a program included with one of Mouser's program, and upgraded another program all in the name of keeping McAfee happy. I don't think I would have been so understanding of McAfee's inability to play nice with others.-Innuendo (August 07, 2009, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, I see.  I agree with you.

Agnitum as a free version of their Outpost firewall program that has been well received. It's the only firewall besides Online Armor that scores 100% in leak tests.
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the suggestion about Agnitum.  I'm still running Sygate, and while I think it still works pretty well, I wouldn't at all mind having a program that's being kept up.  I may give Agnitum a try.

Can't be having that or you'd have to be emailing Mouser and having him change your forum name to EmoDiva or something similar.
--- End quote ---
What a great idea!  :D

Sometimes false positives are not really false. One example of this is some security software. Some anti-malware programs will flag them because they can be used for bad as well as good. Another thing to consider is the context of the alert. I had to set up a keylogger for a client who needed to see what some wayward employee wase up to on a company PC. His anti-malware program immediately flagged it as Generic.PS (Password Stealer). Of course, a keylogger could be used to steal passwords so that was a valid alarm even though the program was on the computer for a valid purpose.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I see your point.  However, as EmoDiva, I exaggerate,  and I write first, think later  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version