topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 11:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nextfeeds :: Great deal for information overload  (Read 6697 times)

freelancer1984

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nextfeeds :: Great deal for information overload
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Hello everyone! glad to be part of this community!

Just a quick sharing...:)

I have discovered recently a new interesting service that tries to deal with information overload,
The site called Next Feeds...It is located here: http://www.nextfeeds.com

Check out their video to learn more about this gig:
http://www.nextfeeds...com/home/take_a_tour

Here's the brief description about the site...

* An easy-to-use service that sends you more relevant news and less "noise".
    * Stay on top of the news.
    * Don't miss out anything important reminders.
    * Get only the information relevant to you.
    * You can choose on what feeds you wish to receive.

I've found it cool and I'm sure you will too! Tell me if it'll interest you...;)
http://www.nextfeeds.com

Zai here..

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nextfeeds :: Great deal for information overload
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I have categorized my 200+ feeds in my feed reader, one category is "unread" in which everything not important or vague goes. One other category is "read" in which everything important and interesting goes, that must be read. "unread" is for times when I have read everything else. I am used to this setup, so I won't use nextfeeds.

That being said, I think others might welcome guidance in sifting the chaff from the wheat. I know some people want to keep in the loop, but are overwhelmed by the sheer size of that loop.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:36 PM »
    * Stay on top of the news.
-freelancer1984 (July 06, 2009, 08:46 PM)
Personally, I found that want to be the biggest problem when it comes to information overload.

After finding no perfect solution for a long time, I took the radical appraoch early 2009 and cancelled ALL of my magazine subscriptions, stopped the daily news check online, and now only get the biggest headlines from a national radio station which I listen to while preparing food. I still read articles online, but much less than before.

Saves money, trees, and 'head space' - I love it! :)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:32 AM »
How does NextFeeds help with the problem of having to stay up to date with important information from many sources? Doesn't It requires all websites to change over to this?

The best solution for me was to have more time to read the feeds - by buying an iPod Touch I now can read on the bus to work. You'd think tho that some way of pagerank for news items (based on how many sources report it perhaps or how much it is discussed) it should be possible to prioritize them.

That said I like the simple life approach :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Here are some more services purporting to help cut through the info-overload:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-sites-deal-information-overload/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I just use an RSS reader in conjunction with ReadItLater and their Digest option.

I can stay on top of 700 to 1K+ news items daily, of which less than a third (on average) are interesting enough to merit a quick skim. Based on my 'skim', I'll then tag and actually read about 100-125 articles in the course of the day. The whole process takes up a little over 2 hours. Usually I'll do it in 10 or 15 minute chunks. Thank heavens for smartphones and wait times! Breaking it up like that helps prevent burnout and boggle.

Interesting text passages get clipped with CintaNotes, which works like a very basic form of Evernotes. IMHO Cinta's simpler product is an improvement.

Full webpages worth saving are collected in Canaware NetNotes.

A very good (so far, knock wood!) memory glues it all together.

Hope I can keep this up for at least a few more years.  :)

-----
Note: Anything that I can't get to on the first day gets left for the next. And whenever I get seriously backlogged, I'll perform triage by only reading what interests me the most. The rest of the 'log jam' then gets deleted with an insincere "Oh well!"  ;D

IMHO, the single most important tool for dealing with information overload is the ability and willingness to say "Oh well!" - and walk away!  8) :Thmbsup:

-----

EDIT: added weblinks & note, corrected product name spellings, and reformatted for easier read.
:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:48 AM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:49 AM »
I have taken the same point of view as brotherS