topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Updating did me in again  (Read 5667 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Updating did me in again
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:28 AM »
I updated recently to version 1.108.01.  When I started my computer today, I was surprised to see a box telling me that I shouldn't use the same name for my LBC files as the sample, MyFirstLaunchbar.  Well, I DIDN'T call my LBC file MyFirstLaunchbar, I called it launch1.  I wasn't sure why LBC thought I had called it MyFirstLaunchbar, but I didn't give it much thought.  Then I clicked on the LBC icon in the system tray and got a more unpleasant surprise: it claims it's looking at launch1, but all it shows are the three entries that came with the program, My Control Panel, My Documents, and Start Menu.

I then went into the LBC folder in Program Files, and found lots of backup files (sigh).  I want to get rid of almost all of them eventually, but right now my more pressing problem is how to restore my REAL launch1.mcf file.  The one listed in LBC seems to be the right size, 5.78MB (as are all the backups), but for some reason LBC isn't showing me any of my nodes.  I have no idea what's gone wrong here and would welcome some help.

Thanks in advance.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Updating did me in again
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Just a quick follow-up to say that I tried rebooting, and that made no difference.  I also tried starting LBC from the Start menu rather than the system tray.  All that did was prompt another message telling me not to use MyFirstLaunchbar as the name of my file, followed by the same essentially empty launchbar.  Somehow, it seems that LBC is assuming that MyFirstLaunchbar is my set of nodes.  There IS a file called MyFirstLaunchbar left over from when I first set up LBC, but all my nodes are in launch1.mcf.  I tried moving the MyFirstLaunchbar file out of that directory, but that didn't help.

I am becoming rather frustrated, since I depend upon LBC to launch my programs.  I've removed many of the desktop icons I used to use because I no longer needed them...or so I thought.  Sigh.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:27 PM »
ok so if you open LBC and close all files, and then open launch1.mcf -- you see nothing?
with all of those backups surely one of them is good :)
maybe you deleted the real file in addition to the backups?
did you check the date on the file, did it seem like it was the right date?

send me the file and let me see what i can do, and we can talk over email ([email protected])..

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Thanks, mouser, for your response.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "open LBC and close all files."  If I put my cursor over the LBC icon in the system tray, it says "launch1".  If I then click on that icon, all I see are the three default entries--Control Panel and the other two.  I also looked at the LaunchBarCommander.ini file, and there's no mention of MyFirstLaunchbar.  I've sent you the launch1.mcf file, the .ini file, and one more via email. 

Again, many thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 04:06 PM »
i got the file and we can talk over email.. but just fyi, the file opens fine here and i see your full launch1 file full of nodes, so it looks ok from here.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Just a quick note to let everyone know that, once again, mouser came to the rescue.  I'm not sure exactly how/why the problem occurred, but mouser's email instructions quickly fixed it.

Many, many thanks, mouser!   :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:48 AM »
I think it was just a matter of having to open the right .mcf (launch bar) file; it may have been that when LBC shut down for updating, it didnt save a record of the last file that was open, and so when it restarted it opened up its default file.  something like that.