ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Help for a new user please

(1/4) > >>

chrisclark:
Hello

Your "blurb" says FARR is for keyboard maniacs, I thought I'd give it a try ... and donate. I've been experimenting for a while, and it all seems too hard

Up to now I've been using a succession of launchers to launch files and programs, currently KeyLaunch  http://www.konradp.com/products/keylaunch/?app_id=keylaunch

It is so very easy to create an alias with KeyLaunch ... FARR just seems so complicated, giving weightings to aliases etc. I just want to drag and drop and then refine later.

Is there a PDF version of the help-file so that I can read it under a tree rather than explore the help file at the computer terminal?

Any quick hints, please

One of the things which drew me to explore FARR is the notes plug-in ....again, some simple starting ideas would be great

Thanks

Nod5:
Hi chris! I'm answering as a FARR user. FARR has a lot of options. That gives power but can also be confusing in the beginning. But keep at it and you'll find your way around the options pretty soon!  :Thmbsup:

Steps to create an alias:
- bring up the FARR window
- go to options (alt + O)
- select lists > aliases
- select myaliases.alias in the top dropdown
- right click anywhere in the big list, choose "add new entry"
in the popup window:
- name the alias to whatever searchphrase you want
(- enter a regexp pattern for detailed control (OPTIONAL) )
- enter results that you want to find and launch with the alias (you can drag and drop files to that box)
- OK OK

more complex aliases:
- look at some of the built in aliases for examples
- see the help file for details on commands
- or post a specific question and describe what you're aiming for

I don't think there's a PDF of the helpfile.

mouser:
Thanks for posting the tips Nod5.
Let me just say, I know that i need to make it a bit easier for new users to add aliases and to understand how to do that.  I will try.

I uploaded a pdf version of the help file here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/findrun/help/FindAndRunRobot.pdf

(unfortunately the help file is still a bit out of date when it comes to the new alias system).

mouser:
It is so very easy to create an alias with KeyLaunch ... FARR just seems so complicated, giving weightings to aliases etc. I just want to drag and drop and then refine later.
--- End quote ---

Try this as the easiest way to add a new alias for a file:

* Drag and drop any file or program from any other program into the Search Edit Box of FARR, to have it show up in results.
* OR simply search for the file or program inside FARR until it shows up in results.
* Then, right click on this result to select it, and choose the menu "Add to Group Alias".  Then choose the last menu item labeled "New Alias Group.."
* Then in the dialog that appears, just type in the short name you want to use as an alias for this file in the "Group Alias Name" box, and click the Ok button, leaving the other options at their defaults.
* All done.  Anytime you want to find this file just type its short name (alias).

bayesian:
I'm not a current FARR user, as I too found it rather too complicated when it was first developed and haven't been back since.

Just reading the discussion I see a problem: "Then, right click on this result to select it, and choose the menu "Add to Group Alias".  Then choose the last menu item labeled "New Alias Group.."

But all I want to do is "Create a new alias", not a 'Group Alias', and certainly not a 'New Alias Group' (why the reversal of terms here?). The terminology seems all wrong and gets in the way of what should be a simple operation.

Clearly I'm talking from major ignorance, as a non-user, but these things should be simple, and don't seem to be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version