ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What does this laptop key do?

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
On most machines I'm familiar with, that key is either mapped to the power management control panel or an OEM variant of the same. I have also seen it set up to display a pop-up battery meter.

ljbirns:
F2 on my computer turns wireless on or off

mouser:
it might require special software to do anything -- if you've done a new OS install without the drivers and utilities that came with your laptop, it's possible that it currently has no effect.

nite_monkey:
It came straight from dell's website, and I have all the drivers still installed. I did change the power settings though, but I wouldn't think that would change it. Are those Fn keys mapped in the registry somewhere? I know that the media keys on my desktop keyboard are mapped in the registry.

40hz:
it might require special software to do anything -- if you've done a new OS install without the drivers and utilities that came with your laptop, it's possible that it currently has no effect.
-mouser (July 05, 2009, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

It came straight from dell's website, and I have all the drivers still installed. I did change the power settings though, but I wouldn't think that would change it. Are those Fn keys mapped in the registry somewhere? I know that the media keys on my desktop keyboard are mapped in the registry.
-nite_monkey (July 05, 2009, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Didn't Dell have (or used to have) a utility called Quickset that, among other things, allowed you to map various things to the function keys. If I recall correctly that was what assigned all the little "icon" function keys (i.e. <Fn> + <icons on the keyboard>).

Is Quickset installed? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version