topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any suggestions for a better way to let users fill in "variables"  (Read 9874 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
So i'm planning an online version of TFLM.. i'm trying to think about ways the program could be improved (ideas that will surely migrate back into the standalone tool).

One thing that i've always thought is that the variables list pair in top right could use some improvement, but im not sure exactly what the best way would be.

In particular it seems to me that some variables might only be used in some blocks.. so maybe putting the variables in the tree somewhere makes more sense?

Ideas?

lincoln six echo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't mind the top right location and the general way they work ...

- What would be cool is if a variable is only visible when a specific box is checked, that it be hidden/added to the var list depending on whether or not the box is checked.
- Also, variable which could have several 'fields' associated to them. For instance. When you select say 'Partner' ... the letter could say ... "Welcome as a PARTNER COMPANY" ... and later in the letter ... "as a PARTNER, your default password is PARTNER-123. So, by selecting Partner, it populate 3 different fields, which contacin specific information for 'partners"
- Drop down menu ... sometimes variables are a list of say 5 softwares
- Not sure it is possible for either the standalone or web version, but it would be great if email fields could be used in TFLM ... To say "Hi %NAME% ... is a pain in the ass if you need to add the name every time ... if some fields could be somewhat populated from outlook (using a macro), it would be great. That way all the fields like %NAME%, %SENT DATE% and %EMAIL_ADDRESS% would be filled. Could running a macro in Outlook dump that information in a temp file which could be read by TFLM ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
for your last question first, currently variables can be passed on the commandline to tflm -- i use just such a feature myself.  im guessing you could do that with outlook as well.

i think the idea of variables only showing when actually used in a block is a good idea -- it's one of the issues i was thinking about.. i guess you are saying you would still like having a centralized list of variables.

as for the idea of multiple fields and the comment about drop down menu, i'm not sure exactly what you mean.  could you elaborate?

lincoln six echo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Say that the variable is 'employees'. ... both department and contact could be associated to the employee. 
When you pick say John, his department and phone # could be populated automatically in the letter.

%Name% - %Department% - %Phone%.

%John% is a member of the %Shipping Department% and can be reached at %555-1234%.

So, the same variable could change 3 fields or so ...

pluma

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any suggestions for a better way to let users fill in "variables"
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Hi all...

I have absolutly no programming skills!

Recently been using sqlite DB for data storage. So thought about this idea if already not done...

What about using sqlite DB that can be filled in by the user and the fields pasted directly into the text area.

Then by filling in the prmary index value the forme will lookup the rest in the DB.

Advantage is that the same date can be re-used, over and over again in as many ways as you want, and if something changes in that recorde then only have to change it in the DB once...

Hope I'm not saying something that the software is already doing... :-[

:)Sergio