Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 21, 2014, 02:57:40 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Advanced Text Replacement  (Read 7502 times)
xtekian
Charter Member

.: w/xoco :.'/

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 23, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »

A lot of word processing programs have a "replace" function where you can replace for, example, all "hello.world" to "hello w." I was wondering if anyone could do a more advanced version of this kind of functionality?

1) not only rename & replace words, but also folders and files
2) ability to replace/rename words only under certain circumstances
     a) for example, if i had "hello.world.v1.2", i would want to remove all the periods "." except for the ones between v1.2, so that it would become "hello world v1.2"
3) for renaming, have a special shell extension that lets you rename files and folders with one click instead of two, as with windows explorer?

anyone with other ideas for this little prog can add in, but that's all i can come up with for now. cheers =)

-xtekian

TkR
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 01:09:11 PM »

i think i remember a renamer that worked similar to this.
but its an interesting idea - what if you hade a program that let you drag and drop file and folder names into a "memo" field (like a text editor) where you could perform any kind of search and replace or manual editing of the list of files and folders just as if you were in a text editor (you could even copy text into a text editor and work on it there and then paste it bacl), and then hit GO to have it rename all files and folders to their new changed values.
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 04:23:20 PM »

A lot of word processing programs have a "replace" function where you can replace for, example, all "hello.world" to "hello w." I was wondering if anyone could do a more advanced version of this kind of functionality?

1) not only rename & replace words, but also folders and files
2) ability to replace/rename words only under certain circumstances
     a) for example, if i had "hello.world.v1.2", i would want to remove all the periods "." except for the ones between v1.2, so that it would become "hello world v1.2"
3) for renaming, have a special shell extension that lets you rename files and folders with one click instead of two, as with windows explorer?

anyone with other ideas for this little prog can add in, but that's all i can come up with for now. cheers =)

-xtekian
I tried to understand why you would need a new tool for this, but I failed Sad Would you mind to explain?

Oh yeah, and have a look at http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=1167.0 please, first post there smiley

Thank you.
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 05:17:18 PM »

er, could this be the reason, lots of warez files are named with the '.' instead of spaces - can't honestly remember but i think newsgroup attachments are also named this way.

i wrote about 'ninotech copy path' that did something along the lines of the request.

nudone blog in the archive: http://www.donationcoder....5/04/ninotech_copy_p.html

program home: http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »

mouser wrote:
>  what if you hade a program that let you drag and drop file and folder names into a "memo" field

like eRename ?

http://hansjoerg.reister.bei.t-online.de/erename/
Hmm, seams like his side is down?

I have the Standalone file and the source code from Mr. Reister if anyone want it...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:18:46 PM by AbteriX » Logged

Greetings, Stefan.
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 06:02:02 PM »

Hmmm, on the other side, ...here you are:

eRename
Software Author :      Hans-Jörg    Reister         http://hansjoerg.reister.bei.t-online.de/erename/  ( side is down?)
Software ScreenShot :           See below
Software License :         Freeware         
Operating Systems :         Win 2000 XP     
Date Date :         2003-07-28         
Software Price :         $0.00    
Download Size :         353kb / 867kb         
Free Download :         Download below

Here is an Google cache:
http://64.233.183.104/sea...oerg+reister%22&hl=de

I have the Standalone file and the source code from Mr. Reister if anyone want it...

...here

* eren_s_1.1.0.14-(just start me)-exe.zip (340.85 KB - downloaded 333 times.)
* WebSide_from_Oct_2004.zip (68.28 KB - downloaded 243 times.)

* main1.gif (29.63 KB, 499x318 - viewed 504 times.)

* menu1.gif (7.17 KB, 261x396 - viewed 253 times.)

* menu2.gif (7.06 KB, 195x230 - viewed 239 times.)

* mp3info.gif (17.74 KB, 387x436 - viewed 272 times.)
* Homepage Nov2004 of eRename tool.pdf (122.12 KB - downloaded 200 times.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:49:43 PM by AbteriX » Logged

Greetings, Stefan.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 07:17:52 PM »

looks like exactly what i had in mind - nice find!
xtekian
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »

eRename is a pretty cool file but it works only with filenames that have the same filename. i'm actually looking more for a small proggie that can change folder names too?

maybe have a text field where you can drag folders into and then edit with a batch renamer or by just clicking on the folder?

thanks for the help guys

TkR
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:42:10 AM »

ah, only works with filenames huh?  well then sounds like there is still a need for this.
xtekian
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 10:45:16 AM »

did a internet-wide search, this is what i found

SkyJuice has two programs that can do this, but they're both shareware (fast folder renamer is a 300k prog selling for $15!!!! no way!)
link: http://www.skyjuicesoftware.com/index.html

FoldMonkey also seems to do the trick, except it's shareware too
http://www.monkeyjob.com/FoldMonk.html

if i could do this myself i would, but i haven't touched vb or c++ in 3 years =|

TkR
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »

i think we'll get this written in the next week or so; if no one else does it i will.
it's definitely a snack.
xtekian
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 11:31:45 AM »

Hey wait,
i found a prog =D and it's free!!! =)

link: http://www.albert.nu/default.asp

the prog is called Renamer 6.0. works on files and folders, allows you to do macros, and has a lot of very customizable functions. an extremely helpful program. i just tinkered around with this for about 30 min ago, and it does just about anything i need; the kicked is the macro thingie.

to do what i wanted i did this:
1) created a macro that replaced all "." after letters (26 steps for 26 letters) with spaces, so "hello.world.v1.2" becomes "hello world v1.2" this is especially helpful because it keeps the "." between the version numbers
2) you can do the same thing for underscores

have fun =)

thanks for the help mouser =)

TkR
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 11:35:59 AM »

very interesting find..

i should say that there are other folder renamers that will do what you want also im sure..
im still interested in a generic text-editor based renamer, so i may write something anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.04 ]