ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox --3.5-- Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (9/16) > >>

housetier:
MilesAhead, I know what you mean.

But as a keyboard user I am quicker typing the word, than using the mouse to click for highlighting. In vimperator it's just this "t d whatever": this will open dict.cc with the search term whatever in a new tab.

However, I know some people are very good with their mouse so it is good they can choose whatever method they prefer :)

MilesAhead:
I think I'm resistant to keyboard maximum efficiency because then I'd have to remember the accelerator keys.  I don't have to remember the mouse. That was one thing that hassled me about Linux.  It was nearly impossible to find an editor with key combos the same as Windows editors.  It just never felt natural always trying to look through XEmacs or some other editor for the editing command keys.  I realize if I did it all the time like the true Linuxen I'd learn eventually, but then it would feel like chucking all my Dos-based knowledge.

Long-winded way of saying, with the mouse I don't have to think.  Just react. :)

Hirudin:
This is probably as good of a time as any to ask this...

One thing that is very cool about Chrome is they have eliminated the stand alone search field and made it so anything (that doesn't follow normal URL rules) typed into the omnibar* gets searched for by the default search engine when you press <enter>. I figure Chrome knows that something typed into the omnibar that doesn't have a domain is NOT a URL so it doesn't waste time polling the DNS. It will also automatically search when multiple words are typed into the omnibar (I'm guessing for the same reason: URLs don't have spaces). Firefox will do the same thing with multiple words, but if you type a single word into the awesome bar and press <enter> it will wait an eternity (10 seconds or so) before searching. I'm assuming Firefox is polling the DNS for that single word with all the common domains after it.

Do any of you know how to make Firefox stop assuming I'm too lazy to type the domain and immediately search using my default search engine?

To put it a different way: if I type "winrar" into the awesomebar Firefox takes literally 10 seconds to open a Google search for the term "winrar". Is there a way to make this instant (without having to also type a search-keyword)?

* I think that's what the address bar is called in Google Chrome

MilesAhead:
This is supposed to do it:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location+bar+search#Turning_off_and_on_2

but it doesn't work for me

edit: when I go to the source page for the info, turns out "domain guessing" only happens after a dns failed lookup.  So that won't fix it after all.

MilesAhead:
Man this thing is stupid!!  I read in Location bar docs that domain guessing won't be invoked if Internet Keyword Search is enabled.  Great.  I enable Internet Keyword Search.  Now if I type "crapola" into the Location bar, it doesn't add 'www' or '.com' but it converts it to this: http://crapola/ and does a DNS lookup!!!!  Guess I'll keep using the search engine input!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version