ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Torrent Giant, The Pirate Bay sold, will go legal

<< < (2/12) > >>

Loki15:
Ehtyar, very, very well said.

I second your motion.

RIP TPB :(

Fred Nerd:
I better hurry up and search it for all the rarities it holds. Excellent place for Bootlegs, not totally legal, but how can they object when I have all the other albums of the artist purchased legally?

Good on them for all they've done, and they were fighting a losing battle, so it was only a matter of time.

Now its back to Limewire I suppose.....
How long p2p last?
Maybe we are seeing the end of another period of 'good old days of internet'

40hz:
Standing up for what you believe in is a wonderful thing, but it needs to stop when it starts to ruin your life. Good on them for quitting while they were ahead.
-Ehtyar (July 01, 2009, 01:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thereby invalidating the whole point of their original arguments and making fools of the people that supported them and spoke out on their behalf? I don't think so.

Deals like this make me wonder if this was part of their plan all along. Especially today, when the business 'strategy' for many startups is not to build a business, but rather to become a big enough thorn in some megacorp's paw that they'll buy you out.

I dunno...to me, it's startin' to sound like the 80s (80's? ;D ;)) all over again. That's when so many of the former 'anti-war' and 'socially conscious' college crowd went out and got corporate jobs - or went to work for Wall Street.

Back then the saying was: "I didn't sell out - I got smart and bought in."

f0dder:
Back then the saying was: "I didn't sell out - I got smart and bought in."-40hz (July 01, 2009, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
:D

Can't say I blame them, though. It was all fun and games (and damn, they had fun!), but things ended up a bit personal (and that was entirely their own faults for being so goddamn cocky). A bit of a shame seeing TPB go this way, since there was a lot of interesting stuff there (and yes, a lot of it is actually legit, even if it is some marginally small percentages).

Is this going to stop filesharing? Nah. There's several gigabytes/sec going on that has nothign to do with TPB.

Ehtyar:
I must admit Hertz Man has a point. The public support (specifically the financial kind) is now in the toilet - not cool. I still stand by what I said though, I'm not sure how else this could have gone down in the end.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version