topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: IE right-click menu item "Open Frame in New Window"  (Read 7986 times)

DesElms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There used to be a little freeware utility one could download and install and it would add "Open Frame in New Window" as a right-click menu item in IE4 or IE5.  I think it may have also worked, by hook or by crook, in IE6, but it for sure stopped working in IE7 and IE8...

...and I really miss it.  Just to be clear, if one were viewing a frameset, and wanted to open just one part(page) of said frameset in an entirely new window, one would simple right-single-click on any blank area in the desired page and select the "Open Frame in New Window" context menu item and, voila!, just that one page (part of the frameset) would open in a new IE window all its own.  It was, in effect, a break-out-of-frames utility, except that it allowed the user to be specific about precisely which part of the frameset he/she wanted to break out.

I know -- in fact, I just read about it a few weeks ago, though can't, now, remember where -- that there's actually a way to do it in any version of IE without adding any "Open Frame in New Window" type utility, but though I can no longer remember precisely the steps (and if anyone here knows, it would probably be interesting to the reader to post it here), I recall that as I read it I thought to myself that I liked the little utility method much better (or at least it was simpler).

For the life of me I can't find any utility like it out there anywhere.  So it seems to me that this is a nice niche that someone could fill if they wanted to.  There's just nothing like it anywhere (at least not that I've found) for IE7 or IE8.  (Of course, the way my luck goes, now that I've said that here, someone will chime in and tell me where I could have found it all along!)

At any rate, I don't know if anyone's interested in writing some code that will do it, but I think it would be a slick little utility... much missed since IE5/6, and much needed.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: IE right-click menu item "Open Frame in New Window"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:01 PM »
If you are not familiar with Maxthon you may want to check it out.  It has almost as many plugins/addons as firefox but uses the IE engine.  I'd be surprised if it didn't have an addon to do what you want.

DesElms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:36 PM »
If you are not familiar with Maxthon you may want to check it out.  It has almost as many plugins/addons as firefox but uses the IE engine.  I'd be surprised if it didn't have an addon to do what you want.

Thanks, but alternative browsers (or even just plugins which make IE look like it's something else) are not an option.  I have Firefox installed and use it; but I must have IE8, too, for a variety of reasons; and I really need that feature if it can be done.  And maybe it can't, and that's okay, too.  I just thought I'd come here and see if someone was interested.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  I've actually looked at  Maxthon, and it's certainly interesting.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:05 AM »
Are you dependent on some old site that's been around for a long time or something?  I'm just curious. I'm not into web programming but when I was doing my site naturally the first thing I tried to do was set up frames in order to have a navigation panel.  Then I found they were deprecated.  So that's why I'm curious if there really are a lot of classic frames still out there?