topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I think a search bar would make LBC more convenient  (Read 4538 times)

Sylphia

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think a search bar would make LBC more convenient
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:22 AM »
Like one of the new features in windows 7 start menu, there is a search bar that can search all items in start menu and other subjects, when press Win button the search bar is focused so users can type keywords to find proper app in a short time.
the sample is like belows:

Windows-7-Start-Menu-5.jpg

When using LBC, I'm always looking forward to an auto-focus search bar to launch app quickly, even my hands won't leave keyboard instead of pressing a hot key to active LBC then input keywords and press enter or one key to finish my operation.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: I think a search bar would make LBC more convenient
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:33 AM »
In addition to LaunchBar Commander I have written a program called "Find and Run Robot" (FARR) which focuses entirely on the idea of keyboard/text based launching: https://www.donation...r/findrun/index.html

I personally find that both programs have their different uses.  LaunchBar Commander more as a visual reference and reminder to let you see which programs are available to you and let you visually launch.  And FARR for when you know exactly what you want to launch.

It has been suggested that the two programs be combined, and it's something i think about sometimes, but truthfully there's no reason not to just run both programs -- they don't really have to know about each other.

The one thing i could do pretty easily is have a way that FARR can know about all the items on a launchbar dock so that it would find them faster -- but truthfully FARR is pretty good at finding stuff quickly anyway so i'm not sure that's really necessary.

To summarize: try installing FARR alongside LaunchBar Commander and see if they don't make a good team.

Sylphia

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Yes I've to admit that FARR is more powerful than a similar software named Launchy, and u r right, they don't have 2 know about each other, but there should be a way to share the shortcuts for users who want to launch items that set up in LBC through FARR.
Since LBC stores items in a  .mcf file with special format, and I don't know how 2 set up my FARR to search in my .mcf file, maybe I have to store my app's shortcuts in a specified  folder and indicate it in FARR for its searching, even I've added it in LBC.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:36 PM »
should be a way to share the shortcuts for users who want to launch items that set up in LBC through FARR.

agreed. i have been thinking about an option where you can easily ask LBC to create shortcuts to the files on the launchbar so that FARR will find them easily, or something similar to that.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:23 PM »
i run both apps, but sometimes it is convenient to be able to search *.mcf files, reducing the need to have two sets of shortcuts.