ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CD archive and copying

<< < (4/7) > >>

f0dder:
Fred, using EAC with FLAC+CUE output, you will get 1:1 copies of your audio CDs as long as they don't contain data - gaps and cd-text should be copied just fine. There's cd-writing routines in EAC as well to help you get proper burns.

I find it weird that you're willing to sacrifice general audio quality in order to satisfy a few special cases :huh:

Edvard:
If it's the imperfection of the transfer process we're worrried about, then I'd say it's an impossibility.

However, let us not give up.
There's a little command-line app from Unix/Linux land called 'dd' that does nothing but rip bits from one place to another, one after another.
Here's where to get a version for Windows: http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
and here's a MacOS page about how to go about it: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031225124417353

What this does is force a bit-for-bit transfer into the .iso file which takes time and an awful lot of space, but apparently works.

I don't have an audio cd to test, but I did download it to feed it a few things and see what happens.
First, unzip it to somewhere in your path so it's easily gotten from a command window.
Then, insert the cd you want to copy.

--- ---dd --list to get a list of drives. Look for a line like

--- ---\\.\Volume{bunchofrandomcharacters}\
  link to \\?\Device\CdRom0
  CD-ROM
  Mounted on \\.\d:Make a note of the drive letter the where the CD is inserted and match it to the line where it says "link to \\?\Device\CdRomx" (substitute 'x' with the device number it reports. Usually 0 or 1). This is your block device, which is what we want.
Now start the transfer with a blocksize of 2048:

--- ---dd if=\\?\Device\CdRomx of=c:\temp\disk.iso bs=2048Let me know how it goes...

f0dder:
Edvard: dd is a bad choice, since it simply reads from the beginning of the "stream" to the end (and it doesn't read bits, btw, it reads blocks - you can't address anything smaller than sector size). It does a dumb copy, which is no good for audio data.

Really, you need a program written with audio ripping in mind, and something that supports AccurateRip so you have confidence your rips are good.

Edvard:
f0dder: Gotcha on the bits/blocks, you are correct.
As far as ripping goes, I actually agree with you.
Personally I would at the very least go with the .cue/.bin pair and I'd definitely do a .flac rip if all I wanted was the audio.

But something like what dd does is exactly (as I read it...) what Fred wanted.
If you hashed the disc vs. the .iso and they matched, I'd call it good, no?

Or is their more to the story that you're about to enlighten me about?  ;)

4wd:
Just a suggestion: DAEMON Tools Lite (Free for non-commercial use.)

It can image an audio disc and also mount it, as well as other formats.

If you want to check the veracity of it's images then write the image back to a CD on another drive by a different manufacturer and hash/checksum the results using the original reading drive.

It's probably the closest you'll get to what you want without ripping each song using EAC.

It also gives you the option to compress, (compress as in archive not as in lossy), the images to save space.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version