ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What (programming) languages are represented?

<< < (5/5)

jamiemac2005:
Need to learn java seriously, but I'm afraid it'd be a huge effort for a language that people critisize so much and, quite honestly, looks like crap and needs humongous IDEs.
-urlwolf (June 23, 2009, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

People overcomplicate Java. I thought it was a lot more complicated than it is, my advice is this; Sun's tutorials aren't that good. Especially if you're not a first-time programmer. I bought Java in a Nutshell by O'Reilly and the depth to which it covers Java is brilliant. The lack of a "an object is like a real life object" sort of childish talk is also a big plus (i found Sun's tutorials to be very condescending).

Also, doesn't need an IDE, IDEs just speed up basic tasks... With java all you need is JDK, JRE and a text editor. As for the lexical style, it's got a C-Style syntax, but is based around OO.

The Universities i've applied to all teach Java throughout the course so i decided to learn it before hand to make things go more smoothly, so i saw it as something that HAD to happen at some point anyway.

wraith808:
Has anyone used AIR or Silverlight?  Can anyone comment on the language structure?
-wraith808 (June 23, 2009, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
AIR is (I think) a way of packaging your actionScript code. ActionScript is close to javascript, but with strong typing and better OO features.
-urlwolf (June 23, 2009, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Flash, Actionscript or HTML and JavaScript - but the explanations don't show how straightforward the interface to the runtime SDK is.

jocelyn:
For application: Eiffel (http://dev.eiffel.com), C, C++, C# (on Windows)
For scripts: python, shell, dos batch
For web: php, javascript, html.

mnemonic:
Just to add a slightly ocbscure scripting language, I spent a couple of years writing IBM JCL.

It was the ultimate in copy and paste languages as you had to find someone in a beard wearing sandals if you needed anything new  ;D

Now I dabble with Python and C#.

tinjaw:
you had to find someone in a beard wearing sandals if you needed anything new  ;D

Now I dabble with Python and C#.
-mnemonic (June 25, 2009, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

And those that dabble with Python and C# wear sandals and are covered in tattoos. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version