topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: free scaled down word replacment  (Read 27892 times)

criss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: free scaled down word replacment
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Found this one - although not free (but not expensive: 20 $): NotePro
http://www.crystaloffice.com/notepro/
Supports tables, spell check, styles. Small, easy to use prog with clear and modern GUI.
Good supported (corrected a small bug within days).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 06:39 AM »
For those interested in Softmaker office 2008, there is a killer Ashampoo deal (same as Softmaker):

http://r.ashampoo.co...ings/1/090410_en.htm   for $4.99

Or for free if you're quick.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Boy, I had no idea there were so many alternate programs.  Some I knew about and some I didn't. 

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 09:14 AM »
I think Atlantis/Nova is the fastest word processor for start time.
Just click the shortcut and like .10 seconds, it's up!

http://www.atlantisw...ssor.com/en/nova.htm

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 09:42 AM »
I think Atlantis/Nova is the fastest word processor for start time.
Just click the shortcut and like .10 seconds, it's up!
Much slower than that for me. 10secs + when first starts. Approx 3-4 seconds when restarting.
And it's another one without tables.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 11:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that it's that slow.
Which 10 sec isn't to bad, but no tables.

Check this one out if you haven't yet.
It takes a bit to load and uses .net.
I'm sure it has any table you could imagine.

http://www.creativedocs.net/

If anything it's nice to have.
Free too.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 12:54 PM »
2cmpm
Not a good choice. Licence forbids you from distributing your work if there is any risk that it can make profit to anyone.
That is the sole reason why I did not install it.

According to their descriptions this might be great utility but licence really stinks for me.

"licence"
Creative Docs .NET License Agreement

Creative Docs .NET is not freeware. You may, however, share this 2.x version freely with others, as long as you accept the terms below.

Distribution of 2.x Version

Provided that you distribute the 2.x version, you are hereby licensed to make as many copies of the 2.x version of Creative Docs .NET and documentation as you wish, give exact copies of the original 2.x version to anyone, and distribute the 2.x version in its unmodified version via electronic means. There is no charge for any of the above.

Creative Docs .NET may not be sold or resold, distributed as part of any commercial package, used in commercial environment, used or distributed in support of a commercial service, or used or distributed to support any kind of profit generating activity, even if it being distributed freely. If you would like to distribute Creative Docs .NET as part of a commercial distribution, magazine, CD-ROM, etc. please contact [email protected] for permission.

Feed-back

What can we do better? How can we make you more productive? What does not work for you? You are welcome to send us your feed-back about your experience with Creative Docs .NET.

Please contact [email protected].

Disclaimer

Creative Docs .NET is distributed "as is", without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchandability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall OPaC bright ideas and/or EPSITEC SA be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequetial, loss of business profits or special damages, even if OPaC bright ideas and/or EPSITEC SA have been advised of the possibility of such damages.

Copyright © 2002-2009 by OPaC bright ideas and EPSITEC SA, All Rights Reserved

OPaC bright ideas, 1400 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
EPSITEC SA, 1400 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
www.creativedocs.net
[email protected]

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Well that really sucks.

And I don't think it's fair to call it free as well, with a license like that.

Docstoc.com is now promoting ads that to include in your public docs, and pays you for clicks on them. so if I made a doc with Creative, I could not use it for that. This is one example. Or doing a presentation at work with it.

Sheesh, that really limits it's use, for what these programs are for, taking away it's value.

What are they thinking putting limits like that on a program?
Why are these programs used, did they think this through?
Lame....ignor...ant, license.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Docstoc.com is now promoting ads that to include in your public docs, and pays you for clicks on them. so if I made a doc with Creative, I could not use it for that. This is one example. Or doing a presentation at work with it.
As TC geek I thought about using it to write few ideas down but it would violate agreement 'cause Ghisler can always make some $ from that ;)

Are you asking "why"?

It is obvious for me: play with it while it's in development stage and pay for it later.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:54 PM by fenixproductions »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I noticed that BitsduJour have One SE Office Suite coming up next Saturday. Contains 20 applications, including a Word Processor and a PDF editor, all MS Office compatible. Of course, it's not free, but not too bad - $29.40 after the 58% discount - but nothing like the cheap price for Softmaker (I got mine for free). For what it's worth, it has a decent review on cnet. Can't decide if I should download it; very unlikely to buy it since I already have so many alternatives.

In practice, I do nearly all my writing on TreeDBNotes (which does have a free verssion, but which I would not describe as a WP, though it does do tables). Either print from it directly or export & then import into a WP. Only time I use other progs is when I need the documents saved separately rather than as part of a database.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 06:24 PM »
What am I missing here?  When I read that licence for creative Docs.net seems to be saying only that you cannot distribute the software for commercial gain without entering a commercial agreement with them.  It doesn't seem to mention any use of the softwares output that you have created :huh:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 06:32 PM »
....or used or distributed to support any kind of profit generating activity.....

This part kind of implies that anything you create, if used to gain a profit, is against the license.

eg. If you use the software to create a book, which you then sell for profit.

It's not the most clearly worded license.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:53 PM by 4wd »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 07:21 PM »
2Grorgy
I consider as "profit generating activity" any forum board with commercial software behind. Someone vicious may say that even DonationCoder can be labelled as such.

I can't use it to gather my ideas before writing software to be put here because there is always the risk of getting few credits ;)

Some rules can be interpreted differently. I am not a lawyer but I think I could find something against contributing here… if I were evil.

P.S. After few thoughts I also think that with current licence it can only be used for playing or the support of completely free stuff.
Let's assume I'd like to buy it for my company in the future. The bad thing is: I can't even check it without violating licence. In many cases "software evaluation" is the part of the business related to money too. If searching for the best solution for getting the profit can be seen as "generating..." then here we are again. Never-ending story.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 07:31 PM »
For those interested in Softmaker office 2008, there is a killer Ashampoo deal (same as Softmaker):

http://r.ashampoo.co...ings/1/090410_en.htm   for $4.99

Or for free if you're quick.

it's still available got my free one yesterday   word processor  spreadsheet and presentation all separate but under the one installation    thanks 4wd

nogojoe
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 05:33 AM »
Hi Folks,

I thought the thread might be misunderstanding the CreativeDocs.net license so I did a little checking.

===================

Creative Docs .NET: Free Vector Graphics Application - Cybernet
http://cybernetnews....raphics-application/

Hi, I am one of the two authors working on our spare time on this project ... And a few words about the licence: you may freely use and redistribute the binaries, code and examples, as long as you don’t charge anything for it. You may not resell Creative Docs .NET, for instance. And you may not (yet) modify it. But you can do what you want with the artwork that you create with the software. There are no special restrictions, even if you produce commercial illustrations.

Pierre

=========================

CyberNet is being added to my own start page, and likely to the biz software resource list.

First I also looked up the Creative Commons licenses (which were not designed for software but are used sometimes) and there is some similar possibility of ambiguity in the language.  As far as I can tell the intent is to stop commercial distribution, not usage by those involved in commercial enterprises.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:36 AM by Steven Avery »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 05:48 AM »
2Steven Avery
I believe your words but I would rather wait for some changes before I "Accept". Current state of their licence stops me from doing that. Words from one of the developers mean nothing as long as it's not written in agreement. I can't automatically trust someone I don't know. I can't sign papers if they are saying something different from my point of view.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Hi Folks,

If still concerned, and you would like to use the software, you could ask the developers to put this as an addendum on their website and/or the actual EULA.  That should be sufficient.

(Personally I would be unconcerned, since I think this issue comes up a lot in areas like Creative Commons license as well, and it appears clear to me what is the intent.  However a nice official note is always nice.)

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:35 PM by Steven Avery »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 04:44 AM »
If still concerned, and you would like to use the software, you could ask the developers to put this as an addendum on their website and/or the actual EULA.  That should be sufficient.
-Steven Avery (July 12, 2009, 07:33 PM)
I've tried to contact with them by email but I have automatic responses only. All in French but as far as I understood they contain an information that I should go to FAQ page and find any details there. Unfortunately, addresses mentioned on their website brings me back to nothing.

Of course, I could try to call them but… come on! Writing big software, having few websites and no valid e-mail?