ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

free scaled down word replacment

<< < (2/9) > >>

40hz:
IMHO, one of the best small word processors is a product called Angel Writer. Has a sane selection of features and supports saving to RTF format.

Info & download: http://www.angelicsoftware.com/en/angel-writer.html

techidave:

Dave
-tsaint (June 25, 2009, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
What "bells and whistles" do you mean?
[/quote]

He doesn't like the automatic stuff.  I personally have that turned off as well but he says he has to do it for each document.  I guess I don't understand why he has to do it for each one and I don't.

The school does own Microsoft Works 4.5 for Windows 95.  Maybe I should have him try that.

f0dder:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned OpenOffice? It's pretty fully-featured, but not as big and complex as the later MS Office versions (although it's just about as heavy startup-time wise). Has the advantage that it works reasonably well with MS .doc files (and .docx) as long as they don't use too fancy features.

My favorite is still Office2000 though - fully featured, lightweight and fast as hell.

40hz:
My favorite is still Office2000 though - fully featured, lightweight and fast as hell.
-f0dder (June 26, 2009, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 on that with f0dder. It's still my favorite edition for Word and Excel. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
He doesn't like the automatic stuff.  I personally have that turned off as well but he says he has to do it for each document.  I guess I don't understand why he has to do it for each one and I don't.

The school does own Microsoft Works 4.5 for Windows 95.  Maybe I should have him try that.
-techidave (June 26, 2009, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Start a new document, set all the options you want, (eg. turn off the auto features), then save it as a template with the name: Normal.dot

This should replace the default one which turns on all the crap so that when you start a new doc the options are set how you want by default.

Another free word processor/spreadsheet: SoftMaker Office 2006 - this is the one I use and you have the option to make it portable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version