topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 7 limited time upgrade discount starting tomorrow (June 26th)  (Read 34260 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Crap - not available from the Canadian store yet (and I can't order through the US site - they check your "zip" code to calculate taxes and I don't have one!). Guess I'll try again mid next week.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whoa, apparently they "ran out" of discounted pre-sales in Japan!

http://www.engadget....s-sell-out-in-japan/

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I assume that "this is 'just a do it to be safe suggestion'" was meant to read 'this is not 'just a do it to be safe'"?
-Darwin

Grrr...synapses are getting old. :(

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. :: sigh ::

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whoa, apparently they "ran out" of discounted pre-sales in Japan!

http://www.engadget....s-sell-out-in-japan/

Do you get the impression it might be a marketting scam - only 3 copies available and they can say they sold out in less than 5 minutes ...

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I didn't think so, and the Engadget blurb suggested it was legit by saying...
While no numbers are given, the 17 retailers involved in the pre-order sales, who presumably have no vested interest in trying to inflate perceptions on behalf of Microsoft, report sales as "considerable"...

The Engadget story has been updated...
Update: Engadget Japanese tells us that the 30,000 copies were sold according to Microsoft.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
well I dont know how long the windows 7 offer lasted here in germany - but certainly less than 17 hours ;)
I forgot about it (I think they were all in deutsch though and the UK offer seems to be still running)
Tom

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ebuyer sold out very quickly; Home much faster than Pro.
Amazon kept switching from having it on sale, to not, to having just one (Home or Pro) back to none or both. (Has both available atm). Has stated that sales in first 8 hours exceeded the whole of the 17 week Vista pre-order period.
Play.com has had both all the time (but at full price unlike the two above).
The others I checked didn't have any for sale at all that I saw, though I didn't check often.
I'm OK  ;D

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
in germany as of 15 july until the middle of august - or until supplies run out [whatever that means] you can get Windows 7 Home Premium E for 49.99 euros

Until middle of August? I've to agree with Carol. This is truly a marketing scam.

Amazon Germany sold out in 7 minutes. :tellme:

Apparently they just got 1500 copies to sell. Another German dealer got the same amount. Others less.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:02 AM by wr975 »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparently Amazon UK have pre-sold more copies of Windows 7 during the first 8 hours than they did with Windows Vista during the whole pre-sale period.

Not sure how many people have 'booked' copies though. I have booked 2 copies of Pro but I may change my mind before October if I get an early download of the RTM copy via MS MAPS programme.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure how many people have 'booked' copies though. I have booked 2 copies of Pro but I may change my mind before October
-Carol Haynes (July 15, 2009, 11:43 AM)

does that mean you dont have to pay till october ? and have the option to cancel ?
(I'm still indecisive about the english version myself . . )
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you order from Amazon they only charge your credit card when the item is posted to you so you can cancel orders at any time until it enters the packing phase. You also have the right to cancel an order after you receive the goods for 7 days (or is it 10) under the EU Distance Selling Regulations so even if you forget and they charge your card you can still claim back the money (less delivery charges).

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You also have the right to cancel an order after you receive the goods for 7 days (or is it 10) under the EU Distance Selling Regulations so even if you forget and they charge your card you can still claim back the money (less delivery charges).
-Carol Haynes (July 15, 2009, 01:49 PM)
Effectively means that if you cancel before they send it you get all your money back.

What interested me was the different prices they were charging.
Ebuyer and Amazon were at approx £45 for the Home version, Amazon were at approx £90 for the Pro version & Ebuyer were £80. Play.com were at full (MS) price for both.
And I still don't understand what is going on with Amazon having stuff on sale and then reverting to Signing up to be notified and back again. ATM, Home Version is back at signing up - will be interesting to see if it reappears for pre-order.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Windows 7 has become the fastest selling software operating system package at DSGi, owner of PC World, Currys and Dixons.co.uk", the company said in a statement.

"Demand in the first 12 hours of pre-order launch saw sales of Windows 7 exceed 25% of DSGi’s total annual sales of its predecessor, Windows Vista."

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And I still don't understand what is going on with Amazon having stuff on sale and then reverting to Signing up to be notified and back again. ATM, Home Version is back at signing up - will be interesting to see if it reappears for pre-order.

I think Amazon.co.uk had a quota for the number of bundles they could sell at intro price. Presumably they have been updating that quanitiy all day after contacting MS because of demand. Either that or people have been ordering and then cancelling freeing up some of the stock.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Possibly. The very strange thing was that this started in the very early hours of the morning (I was checking all the activity etc from midnight onwards, firstly to buy the copies I needed and then because it all seemed quite odd).

I notice that Play.com now have the Home version at £79.99 so they seem to have sold out of that - and presumably Amazon have too. So those that haven't got it are probably too late (though I'm not going to check them all). Both still have the Pro version available.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:13 PM by Dormouse »