ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 limited time upgrade discount starting tomorrow (June 26th)

<< < (5/8) > >>

Innuendo:
The $49 offer sounds great. However, does anyone know, for certain, if the Microsoft-bought Windows 7 will upgrade a Dell computer that came with a Dell-installed Vista Home Premium OS?

Or, do I have to buy Windows 7 from Dell?-Ted M
--- End quote ---

You do not have to buy Windows 7 from Dell. The version one can buy from Microsoft will work perfectly. And with Windows 7 upgrade installs are for once a viable option. Microsoft have finally perfected the upgrade process to the point there's no weirdness due to upgrading an old OS to a new one.

However, if you are advised during the upgrade process to uninstall certain apps before allowing the upgrade process to continue then you darn well better do so. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that this is NOT a "just do it to be safe" suggestion, but rather a "do this now or there are not enough words in the world tot ell you how sorry you will be if you continue" mandate.

EDIT: to fix omitted NOT.

Dormouse:
This statement is in line with everything I have read so far. EU users get all the benefits of upgrade pricing with the benefits of having a full non-upgrade version.
-Innuendo (June 27, 2009, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

But it's not strictly true. They talk about the reduction for the promo, but the prices are higher than the upgrade promo in the US. Good deal if you want the non-upgrade version, not a good deal if you want the cheapest price.

Carol Haynes:
As mentioned earlier, supposedly the countries that are part of the EU (which isn't the entire Europe) get the full version for upgrade price.
-f0dder
--- End quote ---

This statement is in line with everything I have read so far. EU users get all the benefits of upgrade pricing with the benefits of having a full non-upgrade version.
-Innuendo (June 27, 2009, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thta's true but the only reason for this is not preferential treatment for Europe but rather than comply with the EU in any other way MS are being b****y awkward and not offering any Windows 7 build in the UK with Internet Explorer included. Consequently EU Win7 discs will have to be installed from scratch (even if you want to upgrade).

Having said that if you buy a Win 7  upgrade in other parts of the world it will probably work in the same way as Vista and WinXP SP3 and let you install it from clean without the need for a preinstalled version.

tomos:
well it took me a while to find it but here's the german offer . .

Vor Verfügbarkeit bietet Microsoft auch ein Vorverkaufsangebot für Windows 7 an. In Deutschland können Kunden vom 15. Juli bis Mitte August 2009 oder solange der Vorrat reicht die Windows 7 Home Premium E zu einer unverbindlichen Preisempfehlung von 49,99 Euro im Fachhandel und bei E-Tailern vorbestellen-http://www.microsoft.com/germany/presseservice/detail.mspx?id=532742
--- End quote ---
in germany as of 15 july until the middle of august - or until supplies run out [whatever that means] you can get Windows 7 Home Premium E for 49.99 euros.
€49 = $70 = £42.5

Darwin:
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that this is a "just do it to be safe" suggestion, but rather a "do this now or there are not enough words in the world tot ell you how sorry you will be if you continue" mandate.
-Innuendo (June 27, 2009, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assume that "this is 'just a do it to be safe suggestion'" was meant to read 'this is not 'just a do it to be safe'"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version