ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 limited time upgrade discount starting tomorrow (June 26th)

(1/8) > >>

Hirudin:
Sorry, I didn't like the first version of this post, so I re-wrote it...

Microsoft has announced the prices for the various Windows 7 editions, they're keeping them at pretty much the same prices as Vista... They're also starting a promotion tomorrow that will let people order the upgrade versions for around 50% of what they will be a couple weeks from now.

Prices...
Ultimate
Upgrade Promo: not available
Upgrade: $220
Retail: $320
OEM: ?

Professional
Upgrade Promo: $100
Upgrade: $200
Retail: $300

Home Premium
Upgrade Promo: $50
Upgrade: $120
Retail: $200

Here's an article with more info: Computerworld: Microsoft discounts Windows 7 Home Premium to $50; deal to last two weeks

I'm weary of "upgrading" Windows from one version to another, but this deal is just about too good to pass up. If I wasn't so broke I'd grab one of these up and just plan to install XP first, then be forced do do a CLEAN install of Windows 7.

tomos:
thanks for the heads up Hirudin

If I understand the comment/answer at the end correctly - means you will have to format and start afresh - not a bad idea anyway with a new OS install

note for (parts of) Europe - (or all?)
The pre-order discount prices are valid from June 26 through July 11 in the U.S. and Canada, but end July 5 in Japan. Customers in the U.K., France and Germany will be offered similar pre-order discounts starting July 15, said LeBlanc.
--- End quote ---

or is it only the 'bigger' countries are getting this . .

f0dder:
note for (parts of) Europe - (or all?)
The pre-order discount prices are valid from June 26 through July 11 in the U.S. and Canada, but end July 5 in Japan. Customers in the U.K., France and Germany will be offered similar pre-order discounts starting July 15, said LeBlanc.
--- End quote ---

or is it only the 'bigger' countries are getting this . . -tomos (June 26, 2009, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
The reasoning behind this is that for EU countries (which doesn't mean all of europe :)), MS has been forced to cut IE from Windows. They haven't had enough time to test the implications of this for upgrade installs, and thus offer the full version for upgrade price.

Or at least that's the official story.

Tekzel:
I pre-ordered 2 copies this morning.  I just couldn't resist that price, and I know I don't want to go back to WinXP or Vista after the RC1 drops dead. 

KenR:
This may not be the place for this question, but does anyone know what the difference between the pro and home version will be?

Thanks, Ken

P.S. Sorry if this reply is sorely out of place or so obvious most barnyard animals would know the answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version