topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Let's really fix Outlook  (Read 4424 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Let's really fix Outlook
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Edited: Unfortunately the meaning of the quoted text is not all clear, so I feel a need to state that it is a protest AGAINST fixoutlook.org and email marketing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's Really Fix Outlook  
http://forums.slipst...orumdisplay.php?f=34

From today's email from Outlook Tips:

06-24-2009 until 09-25-2009
Slipstick; Administrator

Let's Fix Outlook

After the apparent success twits had in forcing AT&T to change their iPhone upgrade policy, a group calling themselves the Email Standards Project, backed by CampaignMonitor and other email-marketers, is trying to use Twitter to convince Microsoft to change how Outlook renders HTML.

Outlook's broken - Let's fix it
http://fixoutlook.org/

After reading many of the early comments at fixoutlook.org, my impression is that many people think using Word to render HTML is something new in Outlook 2010. It's not, it was introduced in Outlook 2007.

"It's not about you. It's mostly about the designers and developers having to cobble together hack included versions of already standards compliant collateral."
- an email marketer to a user who said he has yet to receive anything useful / interesting / serious in a "pretty" CSS-ified email.

That's right, FixOutlook.org is not about fixing areas where Outlook is broken (and there are many) - its solely about making it easier for email marketers to design email so that it has all the bells and whistles found on web pages and works perfectly in all email clients.

Few regular users complain about the lack of CSS support in Outlook. I see many more complaints from users about double spacing when sending mail to recipients using web clients and the lack of support for animated GIFs.

Focusing on the end-user experience is more important. Fix what's really broken so end users, not email marketers, can be more productive. To that end, I've set up this forum so everyone can share what they'd really like to see fixed in Outlook 2010.

-Slipstick
 :tellme:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:56 AM by Curt »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Let's really fix Outlook
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I lost interest the moment my eyes came across "email marketers".

Wonderful....let's 'fix' all the email programs so it's easier to send out spam that's even more annoying than one used to be able to do.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:44 PM »
- haha! maybe you should have read just a couple of lines more. haha!!

But to make it more clear, I have modified the initial post.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:46 PM by Curt »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:57 AM »
I lost interest the moment my eyes came across "email marketers".

Wonderful....let's 'fix' all the email programs so it's easier to send out spam that's even more annoying than one used to be able to do.
Amen!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Maybe I should have edited the original post a lot more, to make it more clear to people who doesn't read all to the end? Well, maybe. But here and now I will just try a short but unambiguous sentence:

The initial quoted post is a protest AGAINST fixoutlook.org and email marketing.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Curt, that makes the point much more plain. I did read all the way to the end, but I guess my reading comprehension wasn't at 100% that day.