Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • October 28, 2016, 06:44:29 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IE8 --> Windows explorer startup glitch - maybe Avira WebGuard involved  (Read 1481 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

OOPS - I modified and lost the OP, rather than adding this post !  (Anyway the problem was a lockup where the start button and opening programs lock up, even on a very light startup soon after an XP reinstall, and the "solution" was to crash explorer.exe with the Task Manager.  Likely this is IE8, very possibly clashing with Avira.)

After some stuff, the problem morphed to :

"When you start Internet Explorer 8, it opens and then closes immediately"

And I am very reluctant to uninstall 8, concerned that it may not play nice with SP3.  (The famous Gates integration of browser and OS). I did try a reinstall over, did nothing.

Well this is a defacto solution for getting rid of IE, so I will wait a while and see if there really is a need for IE, using the Firefox and Opera "we are IE" elements if necessary (hmm.. Windows Update comes to mind).

If necessary, plan B is to either wait for IE9 or to uninstall .. in which case I would probably simply go back to 6, or possibly 7, rather than continually have these IE8 problems.  

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:50:37 AM by Steven Avery »

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IE8 really did not impress me. I'd interpret this as a sign to start checking out the third-party browsers. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari are doing some wonderful things these days.