topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to configure Website-Watcher for DC forums?  (Read 5661 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to configure Website-Watcher for DC forums?
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:38 PM »
I'm trying to use WW to check my "new replies to your posts" page.  but I'm having trouble configuring it properly because when there are no replies, not only is nothing shown, but the dates and header titles are gone also.  So the script has trouble recognizing what those fields are.  I know some of you use WW here, so I'd appreciate the advice.  Thanks.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to configure Website-Watcher for DC forums?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:54 PM »
If you don't get an answer here, do try the Website Watcher forums at http://www.aignes.com/forum/index.php.  The WW developer, Martin Aignesberger, responds frequently and helpfully, and I suspect that if what you want to do is possible, he'll know or figure out how to do it.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Seems to me you need to "Ignore updates". Go to the bookmark config -> Advanced tab -> Ignore Updates, and put an entry with "No messages..." in the text field.

That should do it (at least works for me :-[ )

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:32 AM »
Superboy: You really need to ask Martin at his forum. Filters in WSW can drive you crazy! Or, I guess I should say they can drive ME crazy anyway. A solid knowledge of Regex would help a lot but even with that they sometimes act different than what you would expect within WSW.

I always end up asking Martin after reducing myself to a drooling idiot trying!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:36 AM »
Ok, point taken.  I will go on the WSW forum.  I've just too busy/lazy lately.  I'm tired of signing up for forums.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:51 AM »
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!   ;D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!   ;D

Grrr..  I have spent about three hours on my WSW bookmarks between yesterday and today. Watch filters for price checks at Amazon and Newegg. Very simple. Highlight the price alone - nothing else - and then a watch filter set as "contains changing numbers/dates". They all work great for a couple days, sometimes a week or two. Then - suddenly I get error messages saying that the whole content is blocked! If I delete the filter and then recreate it exactly, all is well again. Well, at least for a short time.

Grrr....

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:33 PM »
Grrr..  I have spent about three hours on my WSW bookmarks between yesterday and today. Watch filters for price checks at Amazon and Newegg. Very simple. Highlight the price alone - nothing else - and then a watch filter set as "contains changing numbers/dates". They all work great for a couple days, sometimes a week or two. Then - suddenly I get error messages saying that the whole content is blocked! If I delete the filter and then recreate it exactly, all is well again. Well, at least for a short time.

Grrr....

Jim
I experienced this once also, with Newegg.  I never bothered looking for a solution, but I am curious about it.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:01 PM »
I have a business associate who uses and likes the Firefox extension Update Scanner at https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/3362 although I myself haven't used Firefox over the last several releases. Update Scanner supposedly displays a popup notification when a monitored site changes. Just a possible (and hopefully not too inane) alternative to your Website Watcher woes, superboyac.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:03 PM by sajman99 »