ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Multithreading tutorials

<< < (4/4)

MilesAhead:
I think you mistake efficiency for performance.  When I drive a steady 80 mph down the highway, my car isn't running as efficiently(miles per gallon) as when I drive 55 mph.  But I get there faster.  The multi-processing gets it done faster precisely because it's inefficient.  It hogs the machine and gets the throughput through!!

If you find any multi-threaded free encoders that work faster than assigning an instance per core please let me know so I can use them.

f0dder:
I think you mistake efficiency for performance.-MilesAhead (September 10, 2009, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, I don't - I'm saying that if MP gets better performance than MT, it's because the MT is coded wrong. MT should give both performance and efficiency. Remember the thread is about coding multi-threading - this is why I'm arguing MT>MP.

If you find any multi-threaded free encoders that work faster than assigning an instance per core please let me know so I can use them.-MilesAhead (September 10, 2009, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't looked - but I somehow expect the "free" to be a bit of a problem. Multi-processing isn't easy to code :)

PS: doesn't the muxing stage take a fair amount of time? At least it did when I played around with DVD encoding a while ago.

MilesAhead:
I know you are arguing but I don't see the proof in practice.  Just theory. If you have some practical examples I'd be interested.  Otherwise it's just arguing what should be rather than what is. I think we've reached an impasse unless you can provide some concrete apps I can look at. I've already done so.

f0dder:
Well, you're claiming that MP>MT based solely on non-commercial software? :)

Again, this thread was originally about coding practices, not existing software. And I'll maintain (to my death!) that MT is usually going to be more efficient than MP... as long as the programmers know what they're doing. That a shitload of existing software is shoddily coded isn't an excuse to keep up that practice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version