topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bits Du Jour - Rainlendar and True Launch Bar - tonite 6-22-2009  (Read 3790 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Well neither of these is expensive anyway, both are considered good.

Rainlendar Pro ($7 instead of $14)
http://www.bitsdujou...re/rainlendar-2-pro/

True Launch Bar  ($15 summer discount - $10 today)
http://www.bitsdujou...are/true-launch-bar/

Rainlendar seems like it may grow on you.  Being small on the desktop saying "tell me your events and reminders".  Export to iCal for more reports I gather, a little non-elegant yet it may be functional.

True Launch Bar .. does it really help if you already have an ultra-organized start button ?  Maybe a little. Dunno.  Has some plug-ins, would I really use any ?  Dunno.

whaddayathunk ?

Shalom,
Steven

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
whaddayathunk ?
-Steven Avery (June 22, 2009, 09:00 PM)
As far as launch bars go, I'm delighted with LaunchBar Commander.  I didn't see anything in True Launch Bar to make me think of switching.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Looks good Cyberdiva.  I see you can do a lot of customization, find the icon quickly, choose command or this or that, have one launchbar or five, put it here or there, in the tray when you are in economy mode. Probably much more, well done the way the sample bar is there for you to use as a first try and as a template.  Is there a way to launch a bunch of programs at once, or do you create a little script and execute it ?  Ok, I'll read the threads in the forums. I noticed that when LBC (accidentally) became a vertical bar above the task bar and then I moved it (to the tray) the main window did not automatically reclaim the space.  More for the forum.

Anyway, this leaves Rainlendar up for consideration.  And the nice $7 saving if it is a good product. Enough for two yerba mate specials at Stardocks (hmm, do they have yerba mate yet ?)

=========================

Ok, looked at Rainlendar, and since it is reasonably strong on categories and "calendars" and locations I think it can be set up to do good overlay function.  The irony is that the three Pro features I see are:

Outlook - not relevant
Network - barely relevant, would it require multiple licenses ?
Google - doubtfully relevant, the idea of using Rainlendar to me is to avoid Web 2.0 calendars, although that could change if I somehow liked the Google calendar app.

So I am convinced to give it a nice shot, and $7 is very, very reasonable, but .. not sure what I would use Pro.

There is a forum, nice.

===========================

Update, the Google sync makes sense, Google is lite to get to, so I went the whole enchilada, the big 7. Also Rainlendar added to the Free For Biz list.  A "personal" network is one license, too.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:38 PM by Steven Avery »