topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SourceSnap v. 1.52  (Read 8270 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SourceSnap v. 1.52
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:48 PM »
This isn't a snippet manager by any means.  Just a hotkey utility designed for snatching selected text and saving to a file.  Mainly for saving source snippets from forums.  Select text/source, hit a hotkey, a File Save Dialog is presented.  Another hotkey is available to edit the last saved file in the associated editor.

Also has a mechanism for appending a snippet, preceded and followed by a new line, to the Snap file.  Hotkeys and Snap file name are adjustable via Tray Menu.  Also has Glassy border on dialogs with selectable background color on system with Glass enabled.

See the Readme for issues involving setting the default edit program for file types on Vista/W7.

http://www.favessoft.com/SourceSnap.zip

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:38 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Announce: AutoPaste - simple source snatcher
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:18 PM »
Note that I made some improvements and changed the name to SourceSnap.  I just think it sounds snappier than AutoPaste, esp. since I already have a "paste thing" called Pasty.  :)

Now it has 2 save methods.  Save selection to a new file, or append snippet to the snap file.  You can open either the last saved file or snap file in the associated editor using the Tray Menu.  There's also a hotkey for editing the last saved file.

It's just a convenience utility, not any kind of snippet database.

To download scroll to the bottom of this page:
http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Thanks for writing this, Miles. I just found it.
Does it need to be "hardwired" to Notepad? I have AkelPad as default for .txt, but SS is opening them (Alt+F9) in Notepad.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39 PM »
I used the 'edit' verb because I didn't want scripts to launch and run.  Guess I'll change it to just open the file for .ini and .txt file types?  I'm just trying to avoid a surprise if someone captures a program and it runs when all he wanted was to edit it.  So I'll try this first.

Doesn't seem to be an easy way to change the default program used to edit a file type like there was in XP.

edit: there seems to be no easy solution in Vista to change the default program to edit a file type.  I've put a question on Vista forums.  Maybe what I can do as a work-around is to put an .ini option for default editor.  I'll add an Editor= option and just put the complete path to your editor.  That should work until I find out what's what.  I don't comprehend why they keep fixing stuff that isn't broken.  Sheesh!! :)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:33 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07 PM »
I was going to add an .ini option for default editor, but that would be cumbersome for each file type.  I found a freeware on source forge that does it. It's called Types.

http://downloads.sou.../types-1.3.0-bin.zip

For instance on my system it showed an 'open' action for txtfile type .txt but no 'edit' action.  I have EditPad Lite as my text editor and that was the default for 'open'.  I just typed the word edit in the action line and clicked the + to add a new action, then copied the EditPad Lite info from the open line.  Works fine.  It requires .net 2.0 or later but if you're on Vista it should be on there by default.

If you're on XP you should be able to set the edit option the old way via OpenWith.

Here's the article I found on Howto Geek

http://www.howtogeek...atch-files-in-vista/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:14 PM »
btw Curt, thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the Readme with a link to the HowTo Geek article.

(Even though the article mentiions batch files, it works for all file types.  I used it to change from notepad to EditPad Lite on Vista64 so it should work.)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:31 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Announce: SourceSnap - simple utility to snap up source or text
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:32 AM »
SourceSnap 1.0.0.11 is up on Softpedia for download:

http://www.softpedia...ols/SourceSnap.shtml

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Announce: SourceSnap - simple utility to snap up source or text
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:31 PM »
SourceSnap 1.1 has also been updated for more background colors and contrasting text color on Glass enabled systems. Right now the latest is on my site.  Softpedia should update tomorrow or Tuesday.