ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XP Reinstall - some thoughts - be prepared

<< < (3/4) > >>

J-Mac:
Unless you start/boot from a bootable Windows CD (for example: BartPE) and then copy the complete content of the C drive, I wouldn't trust the "copy all files to external HD"-method. Windows has a nasty habit of locking several files which could prove to be real party crashers.
-Shades (June 24, 2009, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shades,

I don't use it to copy back system files. If any of those are missing after a reinstallation then something else is terribly wrong. Where it helps me is with installed program data files and/or settings in wither the Documents and Settings or Program Files areas. Sometimes programs are saving certain data there that I didn't realize, or forgot about, or just overlooked including in my regular backups. When I realize that has happened I can just pop over to the USB drive, find the data that I had wanted to retain, and copy it over. Doesn't have any impact on the system itself.

Jim

Carol Haynes:
If you use Acronis (and presumably others) to image you C drive to the external hard disc you can 'mount' the image as a virtual drive which gives full access or use file based recovery.

Gets round the locking issue.

J-Mac:
If you use Acronis (and presumably others) to image you C drive to the external hard disc you can 'mount' the image as a virtual drive which gives full access or use file based recovery.

Gets round the locking issue.
-Carol Haynes (June 24, 2009, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very true. I use Acronis TI 11 and I do keep weekly images. But I had an image of my C drive - which had been "verified by the program - that was unable to mount due to some sort of corruption that I feel should have been seen during the verification stage. Others have reported this too at Wilders. Of course I could get around this by test-mounting the images every time one is created but you know that doesn't happen! At least not here. I try them once in a while but not all of them. So the drive copy - which I usually do with SFFS - is my ace in the hole, so to speak. As I said, only for the program data that I miss in backups that's stored on C;

Jim

Carol Haynes:
There was a known bug in one revision of Acronis that stopped images mounting.

You can still use normal file based restore to get stuff back and you can simply double click on the archive to explore and extract multiple files.

If you download and install the latest build it doesn't have that problem with new archives. To mount older archives they need to be rebuilt (use the option to consolidate a set of files to a new archive).

By the way I am using True Image Echo Workstation - not sure if the same bug applied to the Home edition.

J-Mac:
There was a known bug in one revision of Acronis that stopped images mounting.

You can still use normal file based restore to get stuff back and you can simply double click on the archive to explore and extract multiple files.

If you download and install the latest build it doesn't have that problem with new archives. To mount older archives they need to be rebuilt (use the option to consolidate a set of files to a new archive).

By the way I am using True Image Echo Workstation - not sure if the same bug applied to the Home edition.
-Carol Haynes (June 24, 2009, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're probably talking about Acronis TI 2009 - the latest upgrade. I'm still using Acronis TI 11 and I do have the last build they released of that version. When the 2009 version was released there were a lot of bugs and unhappy campers, so I stuck with this version since it works more often than not!

I'm still sore over the Acronis TI 10 debacle - that version was faulty from day 1 and never did get fixed; they ended up releasing V.11 instead of fixing 10 - at a price, of course!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version