topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: == Note-Taker Software--The Missing Piece ==  (Read 8194 times)

Chuck7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
== Note-Taker Software--The Missing Piece ==
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Can someone here _Please tell me which Note-Taker (AKA: Info-Manager, Outliner, Knowledge-Base) includes this ONE Feature ::

In Paragraph 2  of Note-A you mention a subject Fully Discussed in the 24th Paragraph of Note-K;  SO in Note-A's Paragraph 2 you blithely insert a Hyperlink to JUMP to Paragraph 24 of Note-K.

A bit more data::  For years, I used the above precise Feature in AskSam, but I now Need to Migrate to a Two- (or more) Pane App that offers good formatting ability.

PLEASE Sirs, What App Links to a Specific Paragraph in Another Note ??!

(Note: Apps I have not yet tested for the above feature include MyBase & WhizFolders.)

Your Help will be Greatly Appreciated !

Chuck

Chuck7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: == Note-Taker Software--The Missing Piece ==
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Update::  In the past few hours since I posted the above note, I had the opportunity to test WhizFolders.  Wow! ! !   Okay, I've just been testing it for 3 hours, but I am actually amazed by this app!  Not only can you wiki around within RichText, but the Jump also resolves to Characters::  It sends you to the (now-highlighted) Hit!

SOooo, now my question becomes::  Is WhizFolders the only multi-pane, Rich-text editor that lets you Jump to a specific spot in Another Note ???

:Thmbsup:  Awesome work, Sanjay!

Chuck C.

ajp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I didn't know WhizFolders. Looks interesting.
Being a note-freak myself, I've tried quite a few options. Evernote is quite good, but it definitely does NOT include the linking to a specific paragraph; in fact, no linking at all (Evernote 2.x did, Evernote 3 doesn't).
Being an old advocate of Linux and open source, and having bashed Microsoft for every poor decision, I must say this: OneNote is my current note-taking solution, and I'm pretty amazed with it.

It lets you link to EVERYTHING, be it a file, a web site (well, that was quite easy), another notebook, another note, or another paragraph, whatever. Even to Outlook tasks and events.

It is not "dual-pane" as WhizFolders, but the paradigm is quite close: on a pane at the left, similar to Outlook's button bar you get your notebooks. Inside each notebook you get sections and even subsections. You can go as deep as subsections in the left pane.

In the main pane you get the sections and subsections on top, and the pages and subpages to the right. And within a page, through indenting, you can get actual outline, collapsible and everything.

It even syncs with Windows Mobile devices. As I said, I am pretty impressed. The official site is http://office.microsoft.com/onenote/.

I hope this is useful for you.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:08 PM »
I agree that OneNote is a very powerful piece of software. One of Microsoft's best creations, though it gets relatively little attention. My mini-review of OneNote 2007 is here.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18 PM »
@Chuck7 - Would you happen to be Chuck Frey of mindmappingsoftwareblog.com?

Chuck7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Thank you very much for the responses!

I wanted to let y'all know what I've discovered since my first post on this subject:

For me, this feature (Hyperlink-to-Paragraph, "HtP") is absolutely essential.  One you get used to quasi-wiki in your info-manager, you can't go back--it is just that powerful!

The notetakers that support both moderate formatting AND HtP are Three:

OneNote  (Great Organization, Marginal tag support, only Basic formatting)
WhizFolders (Nice app;  Ridiculous trial: 15 days--with some features disabled)
MyInfo 5 (Now in Release-Candidate (not public), Great App, Full formatting, Excellent Tagging).

Chuck

(and nope, not That "Chuck" :) )