topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Jump-to-tab in browser (Firefox)  (Read 4160 times)

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Jump-to-tab in browser (Firefox)
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I just thought of what I think is an excellent idea, but maybe not...

In winamp, I usually have over 1,000 songs in my playlist. If I ever get bored of the random shuffle, or just would like to hear a specific song, it's nearly impossible to just scroll and find it. This is why in Winamp, you have a feature called Jump to song (press J while in the playlist window).

In Firefox, or any other browser for that matter, I often end up with the same problem. I have about 30 tabs across the top, opening many links for research, or because there is something I need to do in another tab before completing this tab. I may open a tab that my wife will be interested in and leave it there until she comes by. Reading many posts, it seems that I am not the only one that practices this.

Today, I accidentally tried to use the J key in Firefox out of impulse. It was then that I realized, wouldn't that be an excellent feature to be able to hit a key of sorts and be able to type in the name of the tab I am interested in going to? For instance, Maybe I am anxiously awaiting an e-mail response, so I hit "HKEY" and type gmail. First on the list, so hit enter. Then to return to my work ctrl+tab.

I am not sure if this would be best suited as a Firefox extension or maybe FARR alias/plugin.

What are your thoughts/ideas?

Most importantly, I did search for such an extension, but did not find one. Is there one out there that I may have overlooked? The only feature I could find was the CTRL+1-9 trick. This is unfortunately inadequate since I usually literally have about 20-30 tabs open. I may be on the above average side, but anyone who has many tabs open could benefit from this I think.

Note: The type plugin for FARR I have in mind would be like the one that alt+tab's from one window to the next. It works beautifully. I wonder if that FARR plugin could be modified to perform the same function except in Firefox/Opera/IE.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:32 PM by Kamel »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Jump-to-tab in browser (Firefox)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Sounds like a nice idea, in case these two didn't come up in your search:

Search Tab https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/10164
Showcase https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/1810

I have used the latter and it comes close to what you are describing, although I don't remember why I uninstalled after using it a while ago

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I did not find the first one, but did find the second one. I did not feel the second one would suit my needs. The first one seems much closer, however. Thanks for showing it to me.

Just reading the description and seeing it, I don't fully understand it so I will have to try it and post back if it makes this idea obsolete or not. I don't believe it will just from reading about it, however, since the way it is implemented seems much less intuitive and more difficult to use fluently.

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:55 PM »
Alright, I just tried the extension you had suggested (search tab), and it works pretty well.

There are quite a few things extra I'd love to see, but for what I was looking for, it works well enough.

Thanks a lot for helping me find that. For whatever reason I never thought of using the term "search" to look for a program to do this lol.

If anyone would like to make one later, feel free to pm me or reply to this post and I'd gladly fill you in on many feature suggestions that I had.

Just to recap though, this plugin does do what I was looking for.

Thanks again, rgdot.